Looking at starting a new commercial lawn care business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DaveinVa, Feb 27, 2001.

1. DaveinVa

DaveinVa LawnSite Member

Dear Forum Members: I hope you can assist me as I look at the possibility of an add on service. I have a very successful commercial janitorial service with the potential of a solid base of customers from my existing accounts if I were to add lawn care to our services. I've just begun to do some research and am asking for your help in going in the right direction in terms of what equipment to start with. I would like to hear any suggestions you might have on brands, sizes, etc., of equipment needed - as well as some general pricing guidelines that you might have as well. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. Any and all suggestions will be gladly welcomed.
    Dave Roberts
    Rite Way Jantorial Service

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm...me thinks I am going to go into the janitorial field. Do a search...all your answers should be there.

3. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

The subject of what equipment to start with has been discussed at great length. Just use the search feature to pull up all threads relating to the key words you put in. Glad to hear the janitorial business is going so well for you. Welcome to Lawnsite.com

4. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scag ztr, exmark ztr, stihl weedeaters,edger, and hedge trimmers, redmax blowers!!!!!!!!!!

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a page of 74 item searches on my website of old posts from here on Lawnsite. By clicking on my little red house below and then clicking on Lawnsite Links. There is one on Business Starting, all brands of mowers and other equipement. Hope this helps.
    Eric

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

If you offer lawn care as a service to all your janitorial accounts you will be overwelmed.... Lawn care is a full time job!

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I would assume you are going to do the lawn care an
    hire help for janitorial. You dont last long
    doing both.You dont last long putting high priced lawn equip in inexperienced hands.You can inspect the janitorial work and keep help on the ball. So thats
    the way Id try it.You may have to up your insurance
    I THINK. GOD LUCK

8. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

The best thing anybody can do is create a business plan, and follow it. Yours is janitorial services. Don't Get get yard clean-up confused with toilet clean-up. Why not expand your janitorial business into carpet cleaning? And why would you put good janitorial customers at risk for something you want to do, but know nothing about.

9. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

That sure is straight to the point, he lives in a different state and won't be your competition. Also there is not much to know about mowing yards, I can't see where he will risk his janitorial service, there is never anything wrong with expanding. In fact the two services will kinda work together.

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck DaveinVa. You obviously already have the ability to successfully run a business. Now you need to implement it to the lawncare industry and you are good to go. I think you will do fine. Now spend all your free time here on LawnSite going through past threads and present and you will learn alot! :p