1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at the F-350 V10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nickscuttingedgelawn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. nickscuttingedgelawn

nickscuttingedgelawn LawnSite Member

hello all i have a few questions to ask you guys since you all probaly have first hand expierence with these trucks.

Currently I am driving an 2003 Ford Explorer Sport trac to tow my 18 ft landscape trailer. Loaded I get about 8mpg.

Today I found a 1999 Ford F-350 with the 6.8L v10 with a flatbed back looks very nice duel rear wheels also.

I was wondering on what issues you all have had with the V10 and maybe some loaded and unloaded mpg.

Thanks in advance

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I hope the gas price don’t go up:drinkup:

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

From hearing what other guys have said, milage is not much worse than the 5.4 v-8 engines. The early v-10s had spark plug issues but I havent heard to many things with the newer ones. Check out www.Fordtrucks.com/forums for more info.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

well we need to work on your spelling...but newer v-10s (05+) have been known to get 14-16 mpg highway unloaded. loaded town bout 10ish same on highway. they have definately improved and can tow anything.

5. nickscuttingedgelawn

Sorry about the spelling I was in a rush.

Nick

6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Doesnt sound like a good daily driver, but a good work truck. Check the plugs like others have mentioned.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

We definitely (note the correct spelling) need to work on yours too. :)

8. I did have a 99 f-350 with v10, I had several problems with it and finally got rid of it. as far as gas mileage unloaded it was bad, loaded it was worse.

9. nickscuttingedgelawn

thanks for the feedback guys I guess I will look into a diesel or a v8

10. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had my V10 for almost 1.5 years now and love it. I get 14 MPG on the highway doing 75 with the 3.73 gears. The only issue has been the manifold studs. Both manifolds have had to be worked on and that gets very expensive (around $1600 a side). Luckily mine is still under an extended warranty.