Looking at the Feasability of LawnCare Business Long Term

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by smullen, Jul 19, 2005.

1. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

Posted this at another site, thought I'd try here...

How old are you?

How long have you been in the Lawn Care Industry???

Just Weekends, Part Time or Full Time???

How many accounts???

What do you do in the winter months when the Phone stops ringing and there is no Grass to cut??? (If you live in states with Winter type Months)

One of the advantages of working for a bigger company full time are Benifits and 401K, when you own your own business, its all on you;

What are you doing for Health Benifits and Retirement???

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The rest of the questions I find a bit ... hmmm...

Far as what I do in the winter? Nothing, I work my tail off the rest of the year and bank my money so I can sit on my tail for 2 months and do absolutely Nothing. That is also what I would think most people do for retirement, for those who think of retirement as sitting on your butt doing nothing. We still pay social security, 401k is just some stupid brain child they stick on you because ultimately it means less turnover for the company hosting said plan but whether a 401k provides for YOUR retirement is an entirely different story, say one day you get laid off.
    I mean, in this business I don't get laid off and there is no forced or reach a certain age and be retired, you can work until you're 90 if you can / are able / willing to do it.

3. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

I pretty much agree with you about retirment and such...

4. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Born in '54, lawn care since '88
    full time, 110 accounts as we are growing smaller each year,hard to find good employees and are just over all downsizing.
    Winter, Vegas,Amtrack to San Fran,LA,Seattle,Grand Canyon and various other trips.Bermuda was nice. Stopped plowing snow years ago.
    Retirement is 15% of my gross income which is in the company name and is controled by Merrill Lynch. Health care...company paid,individual policy.
    You don't get rich but it's not a bad life.