1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking at the Ferris 3000is

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Jun 27, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys
    I'm starting to need a rider and now that Ferris extended their 0% financing till 7/31 I think I may jump on one now.
    I'm want a 60 deck with ether the 25 kawi or 27 kohler i'm not sure yet.

I've never really used a ZTR i've been a Scag walkbehind man with proslides.

How do you guys like the 3000is. Is it a good machine? How is it when comparing it to a Turf Tiger or Lazer. Any problems with it? How do they hold up in the long run.
    What is the ball park price of these mowers?

I don't exactly need a rider right now but it would be nice to have one and I know I will need it eventually so what do you guys think.
    any other comments or critism about me or the 3000is is appreciated.
  2. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

i just got a 3000zx which is the 27 hp model. i dont know how much more the 25 hp costs over the 27 but i demoed them both and 25 hp was underpowered. i do love the 27 hp. it is one smoooooth machine. i had another ztr before it and i have cut 1-2 hours off of my mowing times per day just because i can cut faster with the suspension. oh and with that speed you do not sacrifice quality of cut. another bonus with the suspension is you dont scalp as much and dont have to sharpen your blades as much. i used to sharpen every 6-8 hrs of mowing now it is like 12-14 and the blades are not near as dull. pm me if you have more questions or if you want to call me and talk on the phone about it in detail. i tried alot of machines and the ferris is the best by far.
  3. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

What happen to your bad boy? Primecutmo.
  4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

anyone elce rock a ferris?

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure that they are better than the original I/S model. Or at least I hope so! I had bad luck with the original I/S.
  6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I like mine. it's a 3000IS 25 KAW. No problems at all, But I've only got 100 hours on it.
  7. jimyjon

jimyjon LawnSite Member

bad experience with Ferris 3000is just pruchased, owned less than 24 hrs, mowed 5 acres it caught fire and burned, Ferris replaced it under warrenty, the problem I found on my own was fuel tanks not vented properly, with fuel tanks full or even near full, if it is parked on an incline as little as 25 degreeswith the front end up hill, on a warm day in the sun, in from 1 to 4 minutes fuel will be running out the vents in the filler caps, what happens is the fillers are at the rear of the tanks, they have fill tubes or necks that extend down into the tank and with front end elevated a little, fuel runs to the rear of the tank and rises above the bottom of the fill tube and the tank can't vent, with a little sun on those black tanks, vapor above the fuel heats up and the pressure forces fuel out the vent in the cap, Ferris knows about
    this and working on a solution, I'm waiting!! got mine stuck in a ditch, went to get tractor to pull it out, was gone 3 mins. came back, it was burning!
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, good thing you werent on the mower when this happened. You wouldnt need to cut lawns anymore after you settled that suit.

All in all they sound like decent mowers. I would really like to look into them if there was a dealer local

9. jimyjon

jimyjon LawnSite Member

well the good thing about it is it gives you time to get off the mower before the presure builds enough, I think I have the problem fixed myself, verry verry simple, but has been too cool here in mid west to test it, (Hi temps in low 80s, lows of 50 can you beleive it in August.) I think Ferris is working on fuel cap design, (that won't get it) have told them about my idea but didn't seem interested, other than that I realy like the mower, it dosent care if the grass is 6in hi, realy fast and does a nice job, ( I have the Kawasaki 25 eng.)