Looking at this chipper shredder for spring cleanups

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by powerpuller1966, Mar 18, 2008.

1. powerpuller1966

powerpuller1966 LawnSite Member

Hello. I have been wanting and needing a small portable chipper / shredder for the spring cleanups. The one I was looking at is this one at Harbor Freight. Item # 95435 It has been discontinued but I like the size and capabilities of this sized machine. Check it out and tell me your thoughts. Is it too light weight of a machine? I bag on average 4 55 gallon trash bags of twigs and debris from each of my accounts and I do this for a month at 6 days a week. My neighbor has a similar machine (american made) but it is missing a motor, he only wants $25 but it is fully functional minus the motor.

Any thoughts?
    Brett

2. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't find the item on their website but in my experience Harbor Freight is almost always the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality so personally I would be a little hesitant to buy anything from them.

I've been looking at this chipper http://bearcatproducts.com/main/pro...ED_LS&description=Chipper/Shredders&size=None which is probably more expensive than the HF chipper but for a small chipper/shredder it looks halfway decent. A friend gave me a small 5hp chipper/shredder to try out this year and it saves me some time but I wouldn't buy one this small after having used it a little bit even though it works well, I would go with a bigger model.