Looking at used Takeuchi TB007

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Terraformer, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a used TB007 to add to my property maintenance business for light trenching, tree planting, shrub removal and the like. I hate using a shovel and pickax. I would also would consider subbing out to some friends of mine that do concrete flat-work. Would use the TB007 for site prep and maybe tear out of sidewalks and patios, if I can find a hammer for the TB007. Looking for anyone that has experience with TB007 and can comment on its capability and reliability. Anyone else with micro excavator experience is invited to chime in.

Thanks in advance!

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Do you own a skid steer already? What kind of dump truck or trailer do you have or what is your game plan for removal of the debris? Have you considered a mini-skid? A little more info would facilitate a narrower more specific need response vs. an all out debate as to pros and cons of all makes/models.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A TB007 is pretty small, go for the next one up.

4. Terraformer

Fair enough... I've have an F-450 dump, GMC 2500 4x4, Kubota B7800 w/loader, 16' trailer and turf equippment (i.e. seeders & aerators) and sprayers. My specialty is working on established turf and landscapes with minmal impact by equipment used. Renovations, repairs, removing over grown ornamentals/brush and new plantings. Yes, I have considered a Dingo type machine, but a mico excavator will suite my needs far better than a backhoe attachment.

5. Terraformer

Yup... I would agree it's small. Tracks are 29.1"/35.4" (transport/operating) width and ground pressure of only 3.1 PSI. It sure would be able to get into and operate in some pretty tight spaces, and do minimal damge getting in and out. The next model up is the PC18MR-2 at 39"/51" width and 4.7 PSI ground pressure. Far more grunt, but at 2500 more pounds than the TB007, I would expect it to be.

FYI - we're talking about and investment of less than $10K, hammer/breaker not included, that would allow me to throw away my shovel and pickax. Did I already say how much I hate using a shovel and pickax!!! Besides, I'm looking to do some niche marketing. Let's say people can hire me for $150 - 200 bucks instead of 8 or more hours of manual labor with a shovel and pickax. Example: How due you want to spend your weekend or day off? There's got to be people bsides me that hate shovel and pickax work... right! Did I mention that I live in ROCK county:dizzy.

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure how small you can go and still put a hammer on one. Finding a hammer small enough then find a machine with the proper amount of flow would likely be the first step. It would certainly be a niche machine, but with enough clientel with the right need would likely make you money. Interior demo or commercial rennovation would be a good niche to look into plumbers, mechanical contractors, concrete guys and the like.

7. Terraformer

Hey ksss - I know they make hammer/breakers for units this small. The unit I'm interested is even plumbed for one. I just hope I can find one on the used market for a good price. Anyways... if I get a hammer/breaker I can throw away my sledge hammer too! I'm thinking along the same lines as you. This thing is so small and compact why not hire me for a couple hundred bucks instead of busting you butt for a 1/2 day or more. Interior demo work, like you mentioned, on rainy days and winter is a definite can do.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I've run hammers with only 150 pounds of impact, and trust me, there's more money to make with a 300 pound hammer, you'll definitely need a bigger machine to run any hammer over the 250 pound range, 150 pounds is no better than 2 Mexicans and sledge hammers.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The thing to watch is be sure that you cant be under cut by renting. I doubt you could easily find a similiar set up at a rental store but you would want to be sure. Finding one used might take some work. Not likely to be a lot of them around I would not think. I am with you on the Winter work. Anything you can do to bring in money in the Winter is a good thing. Especially this year.

10. Terraformer

You nailed it Ron. I've already checked and the max for this machine is a 200 - 250 hammer, depending upon manufacturer. That said... I want to be the alternative to the 1 - 2 guys wacking away with sledges.