1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking at walk behind mowers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FATWEASEL, Jan 24, 2007.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've got a Turf Tiger 61"/27hp lc that does fine for the majority of my yards that are in the 1/2 to 1-1/2 acre range.

I would like to have a good W/B for a few problem hills and banks that the TT will slide on if I'm not careful. I'd also like to start targeting smaller yards in my area less than 1/2 acre...actually mostly 1/4 acre or less.

I'm looking mainly at 17-19hp and 44-48" decks, hydro, prefer floating deck but looking at fixed deck too.

I've started checking prices (man I hate this process) and here are some of the "deals" I've found so far. These are just phone call deals so I think I should be able to get some more off each of these quotes.

Feel free to clue me in on bad deals or better deals.

2006 SWZ 17/48 Hydro/Fixed/Kaw $5000
    2006 SWZU 17/48 Hydro/Float/Kay $5500
    2005 SWZ 17/52 Hydro/Fixed/Kaw $4700 Advantage Deck
    2005 SWZ 19/52 Hydro/Fixed/Kaw $5000 Advantage Deck

2006 Velke Mower 17/48 Hydro/Fixed/Kaw $4495 Quad Steer including the velke
    2006 Sentar Sport 19/52 Hydro/Fixed/Kaw $5000 176 hour DEMO
    2006 Stander 17/48 Hydro/Fixed?/Kaw $5700

Cub Cadet/Lesco

2006 HFF 17/48 Hydro/Float/Kaw $3800

Better Outdoor Products

Quick 44 16/44 Single Hydro/Fixed/Kaw $2995

2007? 17/48 Hydro/Float/Kaw $4500

Still got Toro, Exmark, and Hustler to check on.:hammerhead: This sucks! :cry:
  2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I would go with a 36in Scag....I have one, and its a tank.....very clean cut, and goes everywhere(gates, small passway between houses, hills, etc...
  3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

So why are you pricing 52" mowers? That just adds to what already appears to be a long list of choices.
  4. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

We have one Exmark 36'' Turf Tracer HP. This WB has a 15hp Kaw on it. Amazing cut, very clean. The hydro drive is also very powerful on this machine. We use it a lot on a couple of steep banks we do not want to test our riders on. Very little slippage, easy to control with the ECS controls. We love this machine. Very fuel effiecient as well. We also have some large kennels to cut at a veterinary business, and the 36'' gets us thru the gates.
  5. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

get a scag 48"
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your going to be mowing alot of hills I would go with gear drive over hydro anyday they will track much better than a hydro will. If you will be mowing medium size to large property and mostly level ground then go with hydro.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

check your pm box

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What? Are you hanging on to my every word?:laugh: Just kiddin'! I only threw in the '05 Scags and the Demo Wright because they seemed like pretty good deals. I don't know.:confused: :cry:

On another note, I stuck the Cub and Lesco together because they are the same. I actually only got a price on the Cub at $3800. It was from a dealer that normally prices stuff high (sometimes higher than MSRP) and then they knock a chunk off the price to see if you'll bite. I still figured I would have a better chance negotiating a deal with them than I would with Lesco.

But, I called Lesco today and got a price on the 17/48 dual hydro, floating deck Kawasaki for $3050 and the 19/54 was $3250. A single wheel velke at $219 and the two wheel at $295. I also asked about their tow behind aerator (Classen) 48" for the fall. The price from 2/4 to 3/31 is $1250. That's $300 off. The mower prices are good until 3/31 also.

My local Lesco manager told me that if I needed service I could bring it in and he would provide a loaner while they repaired mine if I bought one. He was adamant that I mow with one before buying if I decided to go that route. He said the deck was the same as what was on the rider and that some people found them to be too heavy. He really seemed interested that I be happy with the mower before I bought one.

I'll admit that I was on the BOP bandwagon and they seem to have an excellent product, BUT, for an almost identical price I could get a DUAL Hydro mower, floating deck, 4 more inches of cut, and one more HP:cool2: , and be able to drop it off local and get a loaner.

I would love to get an '06 SWZU 17/48 to go with the TTiger but I could almost buy TWO Lescos for the same price. I'm not going to try to compare the two. I know, first hand, that Scag builds top notch equipment but price does come in to play in this situation.

I've seen the cut from the Scags and the Lescos and both look to have a great cut and both seem to stripe nicely.

Opinions? Ideas? Suggestions?:)
  9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you get any pricing on the any Toro's or Exmark's?
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have two SCAG 48" hydro WB. 00 & 01. The 01 is set up with advantage deck and mulch kit. honestly, we aren't overly impressed with the advantage deck and mulcher combo. We have the advantage deck on our TT and love it.

Although I was at my dealer a few months back and notice scag had a new deck for their TT on display. Wondering if its also for the WBs as well.