looking for 21" commercial push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turftoe, Feb 25, 2000.

1. Turftoe

Turftoe LawnSite Member

I'm just getting into the business and am looking for a good quality 21&quot; push mower that can bag or mulch. I live in N. Georgia so all types of grass will be cut(fesue, bermuda, zoysia..).Not sure if I should go with 2 or 4 cycle. Don't think I need self propelled (am I making a mistake?). Any advice or suggestions on what type and model that I should buy?<br>

2. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

just my opinion but for the price of some of the commercial 21&quot; mowers you could buy a used 48&quot; w/b <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We've got several lawnboy 2-cycle commercial push mowers. They're lightweight and durable. I don't think they bag all that well but they're great for side discharging. It would be a fine choice for someone just starting out. Get yourself a Shindaiwa T-260 trimmer and commercial Shindaiwa backpack blower (can't remember the series # off hand) to go with it. According to the other guys here Stihl and Redmax make comparable trimmers and blowers if Shindaiwa isn't in your area.<p>Good Luck.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Look at the discussion I started on 21'' self-propelled mowers.There are 28 hits on it to date.It should give you a good idea on which brands are the best.I also think you might think about getting a used walk-behind but be careful!Check out some discussions on used equipment to get an idea of what to look for.<p>Hope this helps!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

5. Hello, I am partial to the Honda (4 cycle) with a BBC preferable the Hydro model (HRC216KHXA). This is a 21&quot; 6 hp OHV model with a hydrastatic transmission (no belts, drive shaft)<p>The BBC (blade-brake clutch) elimanates recranks and saves on pullropes!<p>Easy to crank, runs cooler(OHV) and burns less gas. Fuel Savings!!! Excellent engine.<br>Market price is around $1000.00. Honda has other commercial units in the $800.00 range.<p>If you are looking for a 2 cycle, I would suggest the Snapper CP214012R2. No one on the market has a mower that picks up clippings like a Snapper HI-VAC and the Robins 2 cycle is well known in the industry. Low maintenance 2 cycle engine with a HI-VAC deck. Market value approx. $800.00.<p>Snapper also has a commercial mower with a 6 HP 4 cycle OHV Robins engine. It is a great model in the 4 cycle market. Market value around $800.00.<p>Sweetie5 (Mrs. GrassMaster 2 U)<br>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<br>

6. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

21INCH MOWERS ARE A GOOD IDEA BUT WALKBEHINDS ARE THE BEST CHOICE. I STARTED WITH THE PUSH MOWER AND WITHIN 6WEEKS I WAS BUYING A 48INCH WALKBEHIND WHICH DOES EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO DO A GRAET JOB I AM IN N GEORGIA ALSO