looking for 72" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fool32696, Mar 2, 2007.

1. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm supposed to start mowing 10acres in a few months and I already have a handful of account over 3 acres. I've been looking at a used 72" Exmark Z with a 27hp Daihtsu diesel, about 400 hrs on it. It's pretty rough for that kind of time. Anyone know about reliability on this model/engine? I could probably get that machine for under $5000. I'm also looking at an ex-golf course Toro 325D front mower 72" deck with a kubota diesel and over 3000hrs. The toro is in surprisingly good shape and the golf course was good about maintanence. From my experience you can't kill a kubota diesel regardless of hrs and this one starts quickly runs perfect and doesn't smoke. It seems much better built than a Z and is almost as maneuverable. The guy is asking just over $2000 for the Toro. Need to make a decision soon, please help!

2. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

If the Exmark is tore up like your saying it is, I'd avoid it.

I've used a Toro like that but not that many hours. I'd say go with the Toro.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id avoid the exmark as well. If you have 5 grand why not put that as a down payment toward a new mower of the kind you want

4. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

The exmark is under powered in the diesel go with the briggs it is ruthless..Never bogs great on fuel, fast. cheaper..I have a Dixie Chopper XT 3200 72 for sale look in the used equipment section.. It Scary fast lots of power.. Im selling because it too fast to let my employees run when im not around if you know what I mean, plus my dealer quit selling dixie so we changed to John Deere

5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

That is what I though for 1550hrs on my XP 27hp diahautsu, I cussed it and called it a POS from day one. Someone showed me how to crank up the fuel on it and it runs right along with my XS 31 vanguards now. I would buy another diesel if the still used the dihautsu, knowing what I know now.
    It also gets better fuel economy now, I guess the strain is gone.

6. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

the conversation or deliberation ended when you said kubota diesel !!!!!
    keep the radiator clean and change the oil, and hydo filters and screens and keep mowing

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The diesels are capable of heavy torque, you just need to get in good with some guys at the shop or figure out on your own how to "hop" them up. As mentioned, if they are turned up, they'll run with the 30+ HP gas crowd and still use less fuel while maintaing a much longer service life. Those diesels will last 3,000 hours easily, most guys just don't take care of them enough to get them there.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the Toro...I have 3 of the 325D's myself. They will knock down anything.

9. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

pump timeing is the only way i know to turn up a diesel and i do know how to work on diesel trucks, 12 years as a diesel tech. its interesting that tractor diesel engines are so far behind in tech than other diesel engines. one thing to remember is that when you mess with timeing you are also messing with fuel consumption. when it starts white smokin your a little high and getting unburned fuel into the combustion chamber. should not hurt anything unless you go to high. when i would set timing on the old gm 6.5 diesel i would ask the customer which they wanted, fuel economy or power. this adjustment to the the pump was a difference of less than 1/16 to 1/32 from one position to the next and i could see the results as i did the movement. on a old 6.2 mechanical like the tractor/mower diesels you could do a long drawn out process or move it slightly from the timeing mark and go drive it. i will get on the tractor site and see what it takes to adjust a kubota and then go look at mine to see.

10. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Toro for $2000 even. I plan on changing all of the filters, putting on new blades, and reinforcing what seems to be a few weak spots on the frame. Also I need to figure out a way to get it on my trailer. It's got a lot of hrs on it but if I can get 1000 more hrs out of it I'll won't care if I have to haul it to the dump.