Looking for a bed edger - Suggestions???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SLC LLC, Oct 25, 2006.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market to purchase a bed edger for next season. The main purpose that we will be using the machine for is to create an edge along mulch beds that are not bordered with any type of landscape stone. We do not get too involved in full blown landscaping - laying pavers, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on what bed edging machine I should go with? Are there special blades, etc?

I have seen them before, but pretty green on the idea and how these items operate. Thanks for any assistance that you can provide.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell you to look at Brown bed edgers.

I've never used one, but I see a lot of them being used around here.

I did use their sidewalk/curb edger(have rented it a couple of times), and was very impressed with the quality of the unit and the power it had.

3. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Trench Master from Brown is the best I have ever used. I have done countless miles of edging (unfortunately) with different types of mechanical edgers on very large commercial sites and on some larger private estates.

Trechmaster is the best hands down.

If it is in the budget, get the one with the wheels that turn in the rear. It does a better job, and after a long day of just edging you will appreciate it even more.

It also has different blade attachments for different styles of trenches.

If you do alot of edging and mulching, with the right operator, the machine will pay for itself in the first few months of spring.

4. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

I have a Brown Bed Edger. I like it alot unless the ground is really, really wet, then it can get clogged. But in August, when the ground is dry and you are trying to put an edge on a bed around a house where the construction guys like to leave 6 inches of gravel mixed in with the clay they call topsoil, you will love it. It can take 3 hours of edging down to ten minutes. The best part is that it just grinds up the dirt and lays it nicely in the bed. All you have to do is rake it around and you are ready to mulch.

One warning, it will eat anything. Sprinkler heads (three this spring:laugh: ) power and cable lines, very large rocks, tree limbs, etc.