Looking for a Bed Trencher?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowman29, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Has anyone used these to redo mulch beds in the spring? If so can you tell me what kind and how well it works. Also if anyone has a used one for sale or if you know where I could find one that would be alot of help thanks.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I bought the Brown Bed Edger. It is a real time/back saver, plus it gives the beds a look you cant obtain with a shovel. You can edge the beds as fast as you can walk backwards. Debris from the edge is then raked back into the bed......Only thing I cant stand are the sprinkler lines and dog fences. Be really careful with these as the machine will rip right through them.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have one also. works awesome.
    ant yes, pipe and wire don't stand a chance with them.
    if you are going to quote a price, make sure you have a sction explaining the possipility of additional charges that may arise from the repair of pipe, etc that you may cut.

4. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

man i was just going to post same question, for next season have a couple big edging jobs for next year (around 900') and would really like to use a machine.contacted sidewinder on their machine, major money for a new one around $5000.00. looking to rent one but cannot find anybody yet. have to check out the brown bed edger

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I ahve an Ez-Trench brand Bed Edger and it s great. I brought mine at a pawnshop and got a great deal because the owner didn't really know what it was used for and thought it was sometype of cheesy trench machine. :p

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Somebody, somewhere was missing an edger...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol
    probably

the brown is only $2400.00 for the steerable 8hp and $1500.00 for the fixed wheel 5 hp

8. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

yard pro, what model is for that price thats not as bad as i thought it would be. might have to find someone around here that sells them

9. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We've owned the EZ-Trench and the TrenchMaster by Brown. The Trench Master works better for us because it has 4 wheels. Once you use it you'll never go back to a shovel.

FYI.... both makers have models that will trench and edge. Even if you think you will not need the trench attachment now you will not regret the purchase on the first irrigation job you do.

10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

The Brown Bed Edger is also great for burying drainage pipe from gutters. Make sure you get the 6 in deep trencher bit it works great and you can make a couple extra bucks on those customers that want the drainage water rerouted from going into their back yard and put them into the woods if that is an option on the lot.

Bye the way I love my Brown edger and I got mine new with the 8hp, steerable rear wheels for $1995.00 plus tax