Looking for a big spring for trailer gate assist

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Does anyone know were I can get a good sized torsion spring (like in picture, but bigger). I want to put two of them near the hinges so they will tighten up when lowered and help the gate spring back up with just a nudge.

I plan on taking some steel or iron tubes and cutting them to fit each end of the spring to hold them in place. These tubes will be welded to the trailer of course. One tube will go on the bottom of gate and the other will go below that on the trailer frame. they will be vertical so the springs will tighten as it is lowered.

Thanks much,
  2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Try a trailer mfg. I've seen then before, but I don't remember what brand of trailer I saw them on.
  3. Soupy

I seen them too. I called the trailer co. and they said that they don't sell the parts. They install them on all trailers and if I wanted they would sell me a trailer :)

I also need help figuring the correct size spring. I'm going to ask my neighbor (engineer) if he can calculate stress/load pressure for me.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

go to northerntool.com. They have a trailer gate assist. One at 300 lb assist and one at 150lb assist. I am not sure of prices.
  6. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Try using garage door springs. Cheap and effective. By the way, design is everything.
  7. glllc

glllc LawnSite Member
    from CT

My new big tex came with them. same ones as in the pic try a big tex dealer.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up the number on Yahoo Yellow Pages
  9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've got garage door springs on mine they work great.
  10. Soupy

I know all about other methods of creating a gate assist. I want this method because it is safer and less bulky.