looking for a bigger push mower.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jul 22, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

have an employee who can only use push mowers, but by God he can push non stop. my question is, what would be a good push mower thats larger then say the standard 21" range? has to be a self induced self propelled, hes not smart enough to work an actual walk behind.. anybody have any suggestions? thanks.

randy

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

eXmark 26" if all the bugs have been worked out like they say (~$1300 though) or you could attach two self propelled 21" together somehow!!haha, really though, the commercial 26" seems like the best bet for what you are looking for

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If he can only use push mowers don't get that exmark he will hurt somebody or damage something. That unit has a lot of drive torque, seen a guy get out of control at a trade show. And you don't want to think about actually disabling the drive on this monster it weighs a ton. Surely he can be trained to run a small WB belt driven unit?

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

OHH sorry, didn't understand the part about him literally being the one to power the mower forward.

5. lawnwizards

he was in an accident when he was a kid and now hes a little slow.. he'll work all day long without a break but can only use a push mower. tried to teach him trimming with no success. i'm afraid as hell to unleash him with a walk behind.

6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What about a ZTR? Aren't those controls a little easier then a WB?

7. lawnwizards

no offense, but if he can't handle a trimmer theres no way in hades i'm letting him run a ZTR...

8. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I have a MTD 46" Deck it's about 6 years old. But it was only used 4 maybe 5 times. It still looks like new.
    Mount some wheels and a small engine gas tank and handle bars and your off.
    I think your going to have to make one.

9. lawnwizards

make one myself? frankenscagmachines!!! why didn't i think of him before?:waving: i know he could rig me up a machine.

10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

what about a self propelled 21" mower that adjusts it's speed to your walking pace, like the toro personal pace or the lawn boy with sense a speed? nothing to do but walk, he could be more productive with it, and he wouldn't have to push so darn much.