looking for a blade sharpener.....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lazerslicer05, Mar 6, 2007.

1. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

hey just looking for help finding a very good blade sharpening for my lawn mower blades straight blades....... any suggestions???????

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

oregon or magna matic

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use a Brandlein blade grinder, 317-787-5993.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, a good one?

Get an RBG, which was recently bought out by Oregon, but there are 3 kinds:
    1/2 hp w/ 8" wheel
    1 hp w/ 10" wheel
    1.5 hp w/ 12" wheel
    And to me, those differences are HUGE (ehhh so is the price, but performance...)

Interestingly enough, northern carries one but of course it's the small model:
    http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200324567.htm
    You might check Ebay, but all I saw were the smaller models again.
    Is everyone stuck with these or what?

I found one for $250 or $300 cash here around my town, slightly used but it's the 1.5hp model and I tell you, that thing beats the crap out of angle grinders. It really is nice, has a lamp you can angle about and you just slide the blade in and out and BLAM it's sharp at a correct and even angle every time.
    I think we're talking 20 seconds a blade, maybe 30-45 for the worse off ones, but nothing like what the handheld grinder method used to take me.

Yeah, if you want the good one then don't settle for less, get the big'n and you'll likely never need to worry about even the grinding wheel for several years.

Here's what Oregon has to say about the big unit:
    88-021 Heavy Duty Blade Grinder
    • 1-1/2 HP Heavy duty grinder = More power for faster grinding.
    • 12˝ Hardened grinding wheel = Large diameter allows for quicker job completion.
    • Easy height adjustment = Makes adjustment for different blades fast and simple.
    • Adjustable lamp = Directs the light where it is needed.
    • Reversing switch = Reversible motor allows grinding of left and right hand cut blades.
    • On/Off safety switch = Prevents unauthorized or accidental operation.
    • Lower cost = More affordable for all sizes of operations (yes because you get done faster lol).

5. harivney

harivney LawnSite Member

At times I have been tempted to buy the "rolls royce" of sharpeners - the manga-matic. But at $600+, I can't justify it for a small operation.

Had OK results with a hand grinder but recently switched to a $29.95 Harbor Freight belt sander that I read about on kniveforums.com. A custom knife maker suggested it. I use an 80 grit blue zirconia belt and attach a magnetic angle finder to the blade to ensure a 30% angle.

And whats best, you can also use it to sharpen your knives using finer grit belts.

It takes about a minute per mower blade

If a renowed custom knife maker suggests using it for the sharpest knife you ever had, it was a no brainer for me to realize it could provide a low cost effective solution for mower blades.

Bottom line - it works great and does a better job than any local sharpening service.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What we currently use...will run ya around 800 bucks. Has optional grit collector and mulch blade adapter if ya want to spend the extra cash.

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Angle Grinder from Sears.

8. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Dewalt angle grinder. Was on sale for under 100 bucks.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We used angle grinder at start but bought the oregon about 4 years ago and love it. simple big dings only take 3 min to get a good edge and even across the blade. cheap and simple in the long run. cost us 180 for the 1hp 10" one probably cost ya 250 now but the time saved is worth it.

10. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Oregon..nuff said.