Looking for a Commercial 21" mower...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, May 19, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I went to my dealer today to see what he had in the way of 21" mowers. I originally wanted to get a Bob-Cat 21", but they stopped making the self propelled version. It has to be self propelled, my 10 year old brother will be using it. I need reccomendations on 21" mowers that are built well, are relaible, are self propelled and are under $800 (without bagger). Thanks, Matt

2. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

All I've ever used is Snapper.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe a Honda? Thats what I will be looking at for trim mowers. Also how do you like your bobcat? Im thinking about going bobcat for my Z and 36" WB.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

go honda you'll be happy you did!

5. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

gotta go snapper

6. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, there aren't any Honda dealers in my area. I was thinking Snapper, but my dealer stopped carrying Snapper. I am looking at getting the Ariens LM21SW Deluxe w/Kawasaki 6HP engine. It is $679 from my local dealer. Does anyone else use Ariens...how do you like them, how is their cut?

7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

buy a used JD SB14 built like a frigging tank.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have had two snapper comercial hi vac mowers. Both of them had a wisconsin robin 2 stroke engine on them and very very good investments! I'm still using 1, the other my dad has for his company. I also have a Toro mower, its not a commercial model but its seen 21 years of work where 15 years have been commercial usage. My dad uses it every now and then but I run it most of the time. It has the suzuki 2 stroke engine on it. Cuts and runs great!

I have looked into a new snapper commercial mower with the 6 hp kawasaki but I heard that the Crankshaft seems a bit weak. Another LCO says if he or his guys hit a small twig with it, the shaft will bend. (he's been through 6 crankshafts in 3 years).

I would go with a toro commercial mower. You might have to pay a little bit more (there like 1k or so) but I have heard very good things about them. My dad's company has 2 of them and they get used a lot and still go to work everyday. 1 has the suzuki 2 stroke, the other is a kawasaki. Both are self propelled baggers with BBC. Both have the crankshaft protector and his guys had to replace a crankshaft or enigne on either 1!

You might pay a little bit more but it may be worth it in the long run! I have a new toro commefcial 21" on order. Its the 6 hp kawasaki self propelled with BBC. It cost me $1,034.61 out the door. Can't wiat till it gets here in a few weeks.

9. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

This is a very, very good mower for the price. Your price is about $100 to high though. This is currently the only mower we will purchase from now on. Our guys are not nearly as tired as before. You will like it, but make sure to turn up the rpm's to 3,500.

10. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would go with a honda, I bought a toro commerical last year with the kawasaki and the engine died after about 10 hours. When the dealer toke it apart he said the head was machined wrong and it caused it, it was fixed but I still think it cuts like crap. The deck is super strong but the discharge into the bagger is thin plastic(came broken from the factory). The engine boggs down. With the bagger it's ok but with the mulch plate it sucks, clumps grass and doesnt cut well even in not thick grass. I will never go with that mower again, I have a $850 piece of crap in the garage.