Looking for a commercial ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roger Wilkerson, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Roger Wilkerson

Roger Wilkerson LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner who is mower selection impaired. I have never owned a ZTR and I am confusing the heck out of myself:confused:. I don't know which mower fits the bill, but here is what I DO know.

I demoed a Toro Z MAster Z450 which weighed around 1050 lbs, had a 48" deck, 24 inch rear tires, and an overall length of 78". It was a bit unstable trying to go side hill (couldn't do it, had to turn downhill). I imagine a lower center of gravity and a wider wheel stance would combat that. When going up and down the front was a little light but not too bad. I got it done, I imagine a longer frame would help that.

Question - what type of commercial mower would be wider and longer than the above. My budget is around 6K or less. I also feel like I need ROPS and a seat belt to keep me in the seat. What kind of choices would be available?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

How steep are the hills? If more than 15 degrees, maybe you should be looking for a walk-behind mower rather than a ZTR.

3. Roger Wilkerson

I probably should but I have bad knees and need to ride

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

ZTR mowers are not built to be mowing on steep inclined hills. That is why we have walk behind mowers. If your knees are too bad to be using a walk behind with a sulky, than maybe you could bank that 6k and hire a pro to mow for you so no one gets hurt mowing your property?

You should look at Toro walk-behinds with the tru-track sulky. I don't believe that they would be too bad on your knees.

Good luck.

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag Wildcat handles ditch sloprs which are farily steep with no trouble. I am probably mowing close to 1000 feet so it's a long enough run to know how it handles. They are not deep , only about 3 1/2-4 feet so no danger there, but still a slope.

6. Roger Wilkerson

I will take a look at them

Thanks

7. Roger Wilkerson

The only danger where I am mowing is rolling over which is why I am getting away from a lawn tractor. I did mow the area with the Toro I demoed and it was acceptable. I spoke to the dealer and he said Toro makes a weight kit for the front end which would address the light front end issue. I need to go look at the Scags, I hear nothing bad about them

8. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Roger, I think I read over everything twice and am still wondering how much acreage you have to mow?

9. Roger Wilkerson

I have close to two acres. I may reconsider and look at lawn tractors depending on what I can find with dual pumps or a locking rear differential