Looking for a CTL

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ConstSvcs, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the market for CTL and appreciate your opinions. I'm trying to avoid the demo of many machines. I'm thinking of used with low hours (500 +-) as there are many available now. I'm interested in a 7500-8500 lb machine.

I have been looking at the at Bobcats, Cats and ASV's and am not sold on Rubber coated boggies (which I believe the ASV system uses).

Give me your thoughts on a machine.........please! Hopefully one that you own or have used.

Tom

2. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

I might have a Takeuchi coming in next week, I'll let you know. I lean towards the conventional undercarriage machines, the ASV undercarriage is too prone to cuts and chunking on the rollers, unless you are working in an area with out any stone. I have a forum on the sponsor section of Lawnsite with lots of pictures and my website www.accuratemachinery.com where you can find a lot of details about how I check out a used machine. If you find a machine you are interested in feel free to contact me and I can point you to the areas where I have found problems.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

ASV uses the bogies on the SR-80's which is just above the 8000 lbs limit you are looking at, the SR-70 doesn't use that, the Cat 247/257 don't have the bogies, the 277 can be bought with out them as well, I work in a lot of stone and harsh gravel and I have yet to even think about replacing anything. But you can always wait until August for Cat's new CTL (not MTL) in the 279C, if you aren't in a big hoopla rush.

I would recommend Takeuchi, not Deere (Screw you Deere) as everyone I have talked to says the Tak's are built like tanks.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

There are a ton of Takeuchi machines that ehere repoed in the last year or so.
    They where financed through Stearn's Bank in Minesota.
    Theyw ere selling low hour TL140 machines loaded for the low 30k range with over a year of warranty left.

Anytime you get close too 1000 hours expect at least tracks and possibly a few undercarraige parts.
    The Bobcats where prone too wheel motor failure.Expensive too fix.

The problem I found was finding a good used CTL would result in a price that was close too new price.
    I feel that if you cannot save 30% over new then it is not worth it.
    That means a new TL140 is 47k then used needs too be 33k.

My vote is for Takeuchi.:)

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

6. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Go with A Takeuchi, I will also add that Tak makes the Gehl's and Mustangs, there just marketed with different control's and cabs. I spent a year researching before I bought my CTL, asking anyone and everyone what they thought, even stopping by sights that I did not even know people to ask them there opinions, I never heard bad things about Takeuchi, only good things, I heard the most bad things about Bobcat's and had a wheeled bc that was junk myself.

7. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Another takeuchi vote from me. We have a TL150 and it is a mean little machine. As someone stated, they are built like tanks!

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That was me, but that was a quote from a Bobcat saleman, go figure, they always say their machines are built like tanks. :laugh:

9. ConstSvcs

Bobcat_Ron,

how many hours on your 247 ???

10. ConstSvcs

But the 130 (the weight class I'm looking for) just doesn't seem to have the lifting capacity.