Looking for a faster or simpler way to remove that old engine oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmurphy128, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cmurphy128

cmurphy128 LawnSite Member

Looking for a faster or simpler way to remove that old engine oil?

You may want to look at some of the oil evacuation systems that are on the market. Many dealers use these types of devices. It's a lot like a vacuum cleaner. You stick the hose down the dip stick tube and suck the old oil out. Remember to change the filter!

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

no offense, but how much faster could it be than draining the oil.

3. cmurphy128

it may not be faster in all cases but consider clean up time if the mower you are changing the oil too gets oil all over the place.

4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Consider that the oil (warm is better) flushes the impurities out of the block. No evac. for me.

5. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i am sure that some kind of vacuum gadget would be about the same time or a bit faster in most cases. but the old method doesn't take long enough to warrant buying the latest fashionable gizmo, in my mind.

6. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

The only application where this is realistic is on inboard boats. Where you can not get at the drainplug due to the bottom of the boat. These systems are not that great because no matter how good you are, you always leave a little bit of oil. Just my $0.02

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I only have one mower where a extracted would remedy it, but other than that, I have no use for them. Just tip, unplug, drain, plug, and fill with oil.

8. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 4 cars, 1 truck, & 6 machines. It might pay me to get something like this, but dumping the oil when it's hot and letting it drain overnight is the easiest.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

10. cmurphy128

non electric ones like that can be used for removing old gas as well