1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Mowtown Mike, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a strong dump trailer. I need to haul around my skid steer. I would like one to be 14 - 16 feet long. Not a goose neck. I am looking in the Northeast. Any suggestions on brands? Dealers? It could be new or used.
  2. Hiwire

Hiwire LawnSite Member

Thats an easy one. Brimar makes the best. We looked at them all. Brimar might be a little more expensive but its made to handle the tough jobs. We have had ours about 5 yrs now and have also purchases a Brimar flatbed. I hope there is a dealer in your area. If not, make the drive to Syracuse and get one there.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I have a 16' Brimar that came with my Bobcat. If you look in the last few pages of the 'International Construction' post below you can see it.

On mine, the ramps are stored under the trailer and to be honest it is a real pain. Reason being the weight of the ramp and the fact that it is about 2' under the trailer where it slides in. Bit of a balancing act and hard on your back. If possible I would recommend one that has the ramps on the side or either get a set of aluminum ramps in place of the steel ramps. I've yet to look into that myself.

You're in a good metro area (with an egg shaped building :) ).......see if www.craigslist.com has anything for you there. Otherwise do some asking around with your suppliers and other companies and you can find a used one to save yourself say $2-3k.

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my Cam Superline. I've never had another brand, so I can't compare, but I have never had an issue with my personal one or the one that we have at work. I use mine all the time.
  5. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

I don't know if you'd come to Canada (Hamilton) to buy a trailer, there's a company called Miska that makes them custom ordered. You could go to Miskatrailers.com and check them out. We've had ours for three years now and the paint's just starting to need touchup. Ou'rs has a two way gate that folds down as a ramp or barn door style for loading skids. Pretty nice and very inexpensive.:weightlifter:
  6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked out BIG TEX trailers??
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

My other dump trailer is a Down Easter. I know nothing about them other then the one I own but I have put it through hell and that thing is a trooper, GREAT trailer. Well built, hasn't dented up and had everything from sod to concrete to mulch to Bobcat attachments etc in it. One other good thing is its a power down dumper which has saved me form being stuck a few times.
  8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have a PJ trailer I love it it's power up and down plus it already comes with the heavy duty ramps .I picked it up in the Finger lakes area.
  9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

always make sure it is power dowm

i bought mine used from a contractor that let it set all the time with trash in it. well i bought it trash and all...well go to the dump and it dumps like a champ, right up plenty of power. i think wow i did well 1200 bucks and works well.....then i pull the truck up then go back and press the down button...nothing. the hinges are frozen up and it is only power up, ended up taking the hydrulic line loose and using a ratchet strap to pull it back down. took it to the shop and in a few hours with the tourch and pb blaster i got it to take grease and now it works well. another thing is if the tailgate is a pickup style sometimes you load will sit on the gate and not let it go down

just a few tips from some of my less then better days

10. bdavis

bdavis LawnSite Member