Looking for a good organic lawn program

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sunnyside, Jan 2, 2001.

1. sunnyside

sunnyside Banned
    from Kansas

Anyone willing to share a good organic lawn program? Also do I have to be certified to use organic products? The answer I got from my extension office was "they don't have any organic products on the market that really work." What kind of answer is that? Every time I ask a question I get an answer like this. I may be wrong but I feel everyone will be forced to use some kind of organic products in the future so why not start now. Thank you for your help. Ryan

2. sunnyside

sunnyside Banned
    from Kansas

Can anyone help me out? I used the search but didn't find a single program. My biggest question is if I would have to be certified using organic only?

3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

4. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

I doubt you have to be certified to go organic, but probably the best route would be to get certified in case you need to use chemicals in an emergency situation. Plus, without certification you can't use products such as Roundup which is excellent for a wide variety of applications in landscaping. And being certified provides credibility with your customers because many 'mow and blow' landscapers lack the proper licensing. I'd say go for it this winter if you can.

5. sunnyside

sunnyside Banned
    from Kansas

Thank you for the e-mails and posts, but I still havn't gotten anyone to tell me a good organic program to use. Surely some of you are using organics with good results? I called the extension office in my area agian and 1 person said I have to be certified for organics and 1 didn't didn't think that would be needed, but they said I could put fert. only without any licenses at all.

6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The main thing to keep in mind is that Organic Programs mean customers accept weeds in their lawns in an effort to help the eco system.

Healthy turf thru Organics is accomplished by establishing HEALTHIER turf thru AERATING, POWER RAKING, and OVERSEEDING annually. ALL OF WHICH HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE HUGE MONEY MAKERS!!!

We order our products thru a Lesco competitor here in NY for Organics but they can assist you where you are to help your effort.

The HOMEDEPOT also carries a program called Milogranite.

to the best of my knowledge you DO NOT have to be licensed in NY to apply straight fertilizers (ie. Organics) because there are no pesticides or herbicides used.

Hope this helps. and Good Luck!!!

7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

The best youre going to get in the commercial market is 50% synthetic organic (50% man made) The milorganite mentioned has very little N-P-K levels to produce a lush lawn. I just got some info from LESCO today and their organic ferts. are 50% as well. The best you can do is look thru mail order catalogs and see what they have. Total weed control is not going to happen within the 1st yr. It will actually take 5 or so yrs to acheive this. The first yr will be 98% weeds, yr 2 88% weeds and so on. Im assuming these #s. I did one application for one cust. yrs ago. and from what I remember, thats what the label said. Expensive as hell too.

8. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

I get a catalog from Garden Alive which seems to be all organic things. They might recommend a program. And yes, they seem to be very expensive. The web site is http://www.gardensalive.com.

rhd

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

10. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Sunnyside
    Did you get my email?
    If you did, you can post the info here for everyone to see.
    If you didn't let me know.