Looking for a good self-propelled mower for around $300?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KCabbage, Jun 22, 2011.

1. KCabbage

KCabbage LawnSite Member

Hi,

I'd like to start mowing small lawns and would like your advice on which self propelled mowers to be looking at. My budget is around $300.

Thanks for your time

2. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean small lawns as in < 1/3 acres, then a 21-22 inch will do fine. Look on craigslist for a used commerical mower like toro, exmark, or snapper. If you insist on a new one, then $300 with get you a higher-end toro home owners model.

3. GreenCloverlawnCare  LLC

GreenCloverlawnCare LLC LawnSite Member

tlc1994 hit the nail on the head

4. KCabbage

KCabbage LawnSite Member

Is there a Toro model in particular that I should be looking at? Does 7.75 FT-LBS of torque provide a significant difference over the 6.75?

Thanks fellas

5. tlc1994

First of all, what is your average property size? If they are less than 1/3 acres, I would look at something like this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/2452770941.html

It's not so much the torque that is different than you would find from a nice mower at HD (by the way on finished cutting, as in NOT cutting down a jungle, both a 6.75 and 7.75 would do fine), but rather these are meant to handle more work because they were designed to be more durable than a Home Owner's model.

6. KCabbage

KCabbage LawnSite Member

What type of wheel drive should I get? Do I need big back wheels?

7. tlc1994

RWD is ideal, but I use FWD and it works fine if that`s what you get. Get the bigger back wheels: their purpose is to push the mower up slopes and hills.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan to mow hills, avoid the front wheel drive.
    Get as large an engine as you can find.
    If you are looking at used mowers, check the wheels for sturdiness, check the belt and cables.

Good luck!

9. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay a "will work for food" guy a hundred bucks to steal a nice mower for you.:laugh:

10. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

The TroyBilts from Lowes have done me well. They are about $269. I know they are not commercial but they only weigh about 85 lbs. They will last a couple of seasons for me.