1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good shrub/tree etc. book for the michigan area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fishman644, Jul 8, 2006.

1. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

I need a good illustrated book with pictures of all the shrubs/trees/ plants that are used in michigan for landscaping. It helps alot if you can show the prespective client what you plan to do with their yard. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ted fishman644@yahoo.com
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

go to www.ahs.org and order the book for your area of the country,I have the northeast book and it has been the best book that I have purchased in a long time,I use it 95% of the time.
  3. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a copy of "The Pruners Bible". I found it to be an excellent resource for how, when and why to prune.
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with Michael Dirr's, Manual of Woody Plants and add the picture book, Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs. These books are the best reference material for trees and shrubs. Regional books can be a big help, but are often limited. The Pruner's Bible is an excellent resource for tree information and proper pruning times and technique. Check with your local extension office for detailed information about what plants will thrive in your particular area. Likely there are professional education classes during the winter that will also make you much more aware of the plant material that will thrive in your area. Often these classes are held at colleges or universities as short courses, only lasting a session or up to a dozen and taught by many of the same instructors that teach the college students.