Looking For A Good Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&J Customs, Mar 12, 2008.

1. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

Im in need of a new mower. Ive had a mowing business for several years but Ive only done smaller lawns such as ones that can be done with push mowers. Im now looking to get into larger stuff and have more clients and Im afraid my old mower wont make it (MTD 16HP 42" cut). Im looking for a good used zero turn for around $1500 or Ive also had my eyes on a John Deere LA105 or would you just go ahead and finance a a commercial zero turn? Thanks in advance!!
  2. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

the lazer z ct sounds like a good starting unit for you. This is what I did, a
    52" with a 21 hp will run about $5,500-6,000. In the future if you grow a bigger framed unit can be bought and this used as a back up. Worked out for me.
  3. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

if you are going to finance i would go with either a scag, exark, or toro...I am partial to a scag but john deere is crap in my opinion. Scag is all I have used and will ever used as far as my personal equipment. The prices that you pay for either of these machines are marketed around the same price. how big are your yards? you need to make sure you have a machine that will be versatile for all of your yards, bigger doesn't necessarily mean badder w/ mowing deck size. Do you have alot of fences you have to go through? you may want to stick to a 36" or 44". Also, walk-behinds are great if you are wanting to up your power and cutting abilities w/ less money. I would find someone that offers demos for you to try out to see which fits your business needs first. You said that most of your lawns are smaller, but you are in the process of getting larger yards. I would recommend a 36" to 44" walk behind mower w/ a velke. the velke can be removed so that you can walk behind your mower or added to ride. W/ your budget this would prob be the best solution.
  4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Check local dealers first and foremost before you leap into getting in debt..
    Usually they have something, alot of lawn services trade in old for new most of the time anyways, or check papers .
    Also, craigslist has been a hot spot for used commercial equipment at least in my area...
  5. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

Well i picked up a Husqvarna 21 HP 48" Cut today at a local dealer for $1000. Its not a zero turn but hey thats ok I can deal with backing up a little since I saved around $2000. Its all I need for right now and the mower is actually in amazing shape and only has 141 hours on it so Im not in debt and I have a good used mower. By the way while i was there I looked at some Shindaiwa blowers and trimmers, all I can say is wow thats my next buy for sure you guys should really check those things out if you havent already.