Looking for a good ZTR riding mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by che, Apr 20, 2002.

1. che

che LawnSite Member

hI, I'm looking for a good reliable zero turn riding mower not too big I'M willing to spend up to $3,000. so far I've seen a dixon model 3014 for $2,700. any pros and cons on this mower? are any other brands for about the same price better? thanks for your input.
    Che

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

New or used ??
    Home use or commercial use ??
    You will not find a good reliable new unit for either application for 3000.00
    Add another 1000.00 and you will get a great homeowner unit from Hustler called the FasTrak.
    Check it out here www.excelhustler.com

Later
    Pj

3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

?What? There is such thing as a ZTR under $3000?
    Are you doing this commercialy or just on your home lawn?
    $3000 won't even allow you to buy a hydro w/b.

Look for a used commercial ZTR if you want a real ZTR. Even my dealer and I joke about how bad thoes home owner ZTRs are, although they are better than a Home Depot cheapo. If you want a ZTR, but a real ZTR, Great Dane, DC, Gravely, Exmark, Hustler, Scag, or something like that.

What acerage do you mow per week?

4. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Don't leave out Toro Z......:D

5. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

oh ya, my dealer and I also joke about their toro lawn tractors and their toro Zs. He keeps the Ariens home owner ZTRs w/the comm stuff, and the toro ZTRs with the homeowner stuff. God I hate toro.
    And when we don't joke about thoes mowers, we joke about JDs small power equipment. Not their big stuff like field tractors and landscaping tractors, just anything made solely to cut grass or for home owners.

6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Toro Z-Master 62" SFS deck is a excellent ZTR great cut in dry and wet conditions no clumping, Now thats nothing to joke about. Marks Mowing Service

7. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

summitgroundskeeping,

Toro homeowner stuff or commercial?

Or do u just hate Toro period if so why....

Myself I have all good things to say about Toro...

With that statemant U made I hope?.... U have owned Toro equipment before?

My best freind I graduated with owns his own Toro shop...
    So I have to speak up for him.....

Bottom line che Toro is a great mower....:D ;) :) :p

8. che

che LawnSite Member

thanks guys , I'll be using the ztr for my home use only my property is only 1/2 acre I work in construccion and come home dead tired so I need a riding lawn motor I curently own a walkbehind honda harmony from home depot and it takes me aprox 2 hours to mow the lawn front and back is not powerful enough to mulch and the bag fills up very quick but Iwasn't expecting to go over 3,000. what do you guys think of husqvarna mowers?

9. if i was you and you only wanted it for home. I would look for a graden tractor. For $3000. in the ztr field you will only find junk.
    Try lookin at the simplicty line tractors or cubs cadets they will last you for years. As far as toro is concern they are a great company and have a great cut to there products. They are alot better than husqvarna. I cant say much about there line

10. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

I agree with Johnhenry your best bet for a 1/2 acre lawn would be to look at the simplicity line my second mower was a simplicity broadmore huge step up from the tractor supply special i put a 170 hours on it with 0 problems in 5 months that would probley be around 4 years use for u.