Looking for a Hydroseeder

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Concept, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Concept

Concept LawnSite Member

I am going to start hydroseeding this season but have not found a machine yet. Im thinking that I would like something with about a 500 gal capacity. Any suggestions on what would be a good starter unit

2. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

Turbo Turf Technologies makes a great reliable unit, very reasonable pricing, its a very mint unit.

3. Deep Roots

Deep Roots LawnSite Member

We have a turbo turf and it works great. It has limitations, but just starting in the business it will be great for residential lawns. We are completely satisfied with ours. Feel free to send me a message for more details.

Chris

4. Concept

Concept LawnSite Member

What are you asking for it and how many gallons can it hold

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiousity how much do you guys get per sq ft for this? No one around here does hydro seeding and i have been looking into maybe getting a smaller unit and giving it a shot. Is this a pretty profitable market? There is some new construction around and i know a few of the builders. Every house gets sod and i think if i could offer similar results as sod at a cheeper rate i think they would go for it. Just a big step to buy a unit and have it not go over good.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking into one this year too, but by far i dont have enough customers yet.. I was told you could bill out $700~ per 1/4 acre of hydro turf. You can average 7cents per square foot.

Thats $700 per 1/4 acre
    $1400 per 1/2 acre
    $2800 per full acre

Now im not sure of the price of all the supplies. Obviously the machine is a fortune. I just don't have the clientèle that would pay that.

For my 3 acre yard that im going to seed/fert/renovate from scratch, im billing out almost $6000 labor/supplies/seeding included

To hydro seed it, id have to charge $8,400 and thats just if i pull up the truck and the site is already prepped! Its a ton of money, not nearly what sod is but still costly. Its hard to find solid numbers on this, seems everyones always hush hush about it.

I was also told a ~40k machine, 500-1000gallons will only do about a 1/4 acre. My complaint, mainly is that say i have just a 1 acre yard and a 1000 gallon tank, Id have to fill it up driving back and forth to the job site 2-3 times? no way. Then YOU have to fill it with water, i dont live with a pond or river on my property, so id be waiting all damn day"s" for the high pressure garden hose to fill the thing. Keep in mind your paying for a pump "electric or gas or whatever" to fill it or city/town water is usually $40 per 7000 gallons, no thanks.

You also need to make something like $700 per hour using the machine. so keep that in mind when doing the work or billing out. Im not a hydroseeder, just what ive heard, im sure someone who does it daily will be able to tell you 100% facts.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

not many people will pay what it cost to do it right in the residential market
    at least in my area

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member