Looking for a mentor in GA...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by snking1, Dec 19, 2006.

1. snking1

snking1 LawnSite Member

I had been applying IPM methods to my own property for awhile so I decided to take the state exam.I recently took and passed the test to get my commercial license. My problem now is that I don't have much real world experience doing this commercially. I would like to start my own business one day, but right now I need a little help. If there's anyone out there willing to help please let me know

edit - can't post an email address...list your phone number if you would like someone to contact you, thanks
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Kudos to you for having the good sense to ask for help. I can't help but here is a bump for luck.
  3. snking1

snking1 LawnSite Member

I appreciate your vote of confidence. Hopefully someone will help me out.
  4. ScottsQLS

ScottsQLS LawnSite Member

Hey guys my name is Scott and I have been in the business for a couple of years now, but the thing is that I wish there was a person here in Minnesota that I could talk to. I wish someone here that would be able to help me out with a couple of questions that I have. I have tried and called other companies around my area to see if I could get some help from guys here but it seems like every time I call them they are just quick to get off the phone. So if there is anyone out there that would like to help or anyone who knows someone that could help me that would be really great. Thanks guys for all your help.
  5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I am always willing to help a guy out. Let me know what your questions are and I will answer if I can.
  6. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

When I went in business 10 years ago I called a local guy who was in the same business and asked for help.I told him I would understand if he didn't want to help do to competition.He was a one man operation and to my surprise he was glad to help.I would not be where i am today if were not for his help. Now he calls me for help and 10 years later he is one of my best friends. Some Lesco guys will help and read alot of books and I wish I had
    Lawnsite 10 years ago. All of that said it just takes experience and time if
    you are not sure don't do it, the cost is to great in this business.
  7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Send me a PM if you would like to talk sometime.
  8. snking1

snking1 LawnSite Member

Thanks Turf Unlimited,

I will surely take you up on your offer. We're probably a good hour away, so meeting up and mentoring me with some hands on experience is maybe a stretch, but I will contact you for some information. I really appreciate your help...
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

A bit of advice on getting help from others. We don't mind helping but I want to feel it is making a difference. I also have lots on my plate so while I enjoy just rambling for hours I don't think that is the most productive use of time.

So first establish how much time both have to spend per session.

Have an agenda,what questions do you want to ask.

Determine your priorities and get that information first.

If you disagree with some information you have received remember you asked for help. It may be wise to ask why but do not try and convince your mentor they are wrong.

Realize that a mentor is you in the future. They don't have all the answers and possibly can't even explain why some things work. They just do.

Some things that work for one person may not work for another.

Mentors are providing advice, Your business needs to follow the path you choose. Don't replicate the mentors business. You can replicate but you may have regrets in the future.

If you want to thank your mentor show them results. Show them you have not wasted their time.