1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a mower that is great on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Jun 12, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

My boss is looking for a mower that is great on steep hills, (preferably rider), is quick, good cut quality, nice stripes. Can be no larger than a 52". He left it up to me to find one for a good price.

Thanks for the help, Peace!
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Come on fella's, I'm sure almost all of the guys here cut on hills and I need a bit of help. I'm kinda in a squeeze.
  3. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Well, if you had 72" to work with, I'd say go with the Hustler 6400 Hillsider. It's made specifically to conquer the hilliest of hills. Um..ZTR's are stable on hills if the decks control roll...as in, the decks are wider than the wheels. My JD 445 can take any hill and it's just a big lawn tractor. I'd just make sure whatever you get has a wide deck, wide stance in the rear end and enough power to get you up and down them.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My Walker has a 52 SD deck and does real well on the hills. It doesn't go straight up and down them but it goes great on the angles or sideways. I'm not on little hills either. I don't have any pictures but I know its steep.
  5. grasscutter

grasscutter LawnSite Member

i currently have one ztr and one small lawn tractor. this is my first year on the z, but i have found it much easier to do the steep hills on the lawn tractor. i just slide my but from one fender to the other. it doesnt look too safe but i have yet to turn over or slide to the bottom. i dont think the z will turn over going across the hill but it sure will slide to the bottom real quick.
  6. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

We have lesco's .... a 52 and a 48 incher and they handle huge hills!

I am walking behind the 52 inch and I see my trimmer guy fall over on this hill I mow almost every week
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

with a little time u can take a 52lazer on just about any hill that u can mow. but
    dont do it if theres something dangerous at the bottum of the hill. u can turn loose of a walkbehind. now i know for a fact im gettin off my lazer if she gets loose .
    but i got a little hang time in my jump.
    im gonna land on her ,instead of the other way arund.:)
  8. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I have a lazer 60 and I would not recommend it for hills. I have had many problems with the lazer on hills. I would definately go with a walkbehind of any type if you are going to be cutting steep hills.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that I own both an Exmark 48" hydro w/b and an Exmark Lazer Hp 52" z, I can compare the two on hills. IMHO the w/b beats the z hands down on slopes. Wide open level areas, z hands down. I feel each has it's place. Put the two together and I feel you can take on just about any property.
  10. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

Hustler z.
    Mine will hold any hill that i dare put it on. It will hold hills better than my w/b hands down.The 60" is the best, because the wheels are wider. The 54" is still a real good mower for hills. The 54" is the smallest that they offer for now.