Looking for a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CCS, Jul 22, 2008.

1. CCS

CCS LawnSite Member

Hey guys,this will be my first post so take it easy on me.

I am by no means a professional when it comes to lawn care.I cut a cemetary which all together is is around 3 to 4 acres.Probably about half is in the actual headstones and the other is open.I try and control the bahaya grass so most is centipede.I use a 20 yr. old JD stx 38,but it is in the shop and I don't know if it will survive ornot.
    The cemetary is easy to mow.Headstones are straight and foot markers are all close to the ground.Using my deere it takes me around 5 hrs. to mow.
    I have been looking at mowers the last two weeks and good LORD there are a bunch of models out there.
    These are a couple that i am interested in.Need feedback, or there might be another one to look at another one that might be good.
    Husqvarna IZ 4217w/17horse kawasaki
    Bobcat fastcat w/36''cut w/17horse kawasaki
    Hustler commerical DutyZ 36''cut w/17kawasaki.
    I only mow it about 8 times ayear.
    I cut my yard with a kabota tractor with a 5ft. finishing mower ,so this is the only place it will probably get used.
    Thanks for all your help.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

First thing you should look at is what dealers are closest to you, once you find those dealers choose which one is has the best service, reputation and staff. You always want to buy from a good, reliable dealer. There is nothing worse than a bad dealer. I have be pretty happy with my bob-cat. I think the fast cat will be able to cut what you need and do a good job with it for a while. Have you thought about looking at any hydro walkbehinds? Those will allow you more manuverability, especially in tight areas. Also do some searching on this site about different models and mowers, there should be plenty of threads that could help you.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer support is the key thing! Out of your list, I vote Bobcat. I have 2 Bobcat mowers and I'm very pleased with them!

4. DC & Sons

DC & Sons LawnSite Member

I just picked up a Quick 36 samurai w a 16hp Kawi on it today and boy was I surprised on the power and quality of these mowers. Plus the guys at the shop are good people. So at least check them out ..... www.betteroutdoorproducts.com

:usflag:

5. CCS

CCS LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.The only local dealer was the dealer for the hustler.
    The other two are well over an hour away.
    I looked at the exmark but that dealer was a arrogant butt.
    Don't think so.
    Am going again friday and look some more.One thing I don't want to get ,is a 5000 dollar pile of junk.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

"I looked at the exmark but that dealer was a arrogant butt"

He must be the brother of the Exmark dealer I have had the displeasure of dealing with! He is one arrogant jerk.

7. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Yazoo/Kees 48" Hydro walk behind for sale and I may possibly be selling a 52" zero turn. You have a dealer 16 miles from you. PM me if you are interested. I can help with delivery.

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

How long does the turf get between mowings and at what height are you cutting it?

9. CCS

CCS LawnSite Member

I went by to look at the yazoo.The dealer is on the verge of closing his doors.Getting old and he cannot find anybody to take over.I think he is open only three days a week.
    And also I went by to two other places to look at yazoo mowers and nobody stocks them.Kinda strange being a dealer if your not gonna keep anything in stock.

The cemetary is mowed every three weeks.The guy wants me to scalp the grass everytime ,but I don't .Ground is sandy ,and in one area it is iron ore .
    Not gonna tear my mower up cutting it in the dirt,so I set it on 2.5 inches.