Looking For A Name/logo

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rsmith2, Feb 11, 2008.

1. rsmith2

rsmith2 LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been reading for 2 days. Alot of interesting information and I plan on sticking around. I am a full time Police Officer looking to start a Landscaping business. I have cut lawns since I was 10 years old working for my father and I'm looking to get back into the business. I am having trouble with a name and logo can anyone help. My wife's name is Lisa and 2 sons are Brandon and Justin, I live in Sparta, NJ if this helps. I plan on sticking to lawn mowing only. Some interesting names:

Lawn n Order
    Mow Master
    The Lawn Shark
    RBJ Lawn Service

I have tried to create a logo on the Internet and it just looks cheap.

Any Help???

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

first you need a name and then a logo to work with it. you need something catchy, something people will remember, something people will see when it's listed along with other names, makes it stand out above the rest. it worked for me big time. let see if this works. how about;
    "Local cop mowing". Who else can you trust to mow your grass. have a logo with a cop handcuffed and pushing mean looking lawn mower. think about it this will work. good luck, 2 clowns mowing

3. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

Well I just wanted to stop by and say welcome to LS.com

Any question you have, you can get a answer here because... It has already been done

You will also have no problem getting a logo around here.

Good luck

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Where I live, and cut grass, The Police love us,,,

Were an extra set of eyes and ears,,,," Granted there are only 12 Police officers"

They wave to me every day, and I wave back as NOT wearing my seat belt, pull up to them and talk to them, NOT wearing my seat belt,

they Just love us because we know who belongs where and when,,,

so being that you may wanna incorprate your being a Police officer into your logo, advertisement, and such..... I'm sure this will give you and edge...

I mean come on, who better to have around you home while your away, A Police officer or a bunch of illegual Mesicians,,,,

Good Luck

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I've got it..... How boute LAWN FORCE,,,

a couple of guys with push mowers, either side of a badge,

also a guy pushing a mower looks like the letter "L"

6. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've got the same dilema. My name is Adam McGaw. How does A.M. Landscpaing sound to everyone? bohiaa, that's a good idea. I like it, LAWN FORCE.

7. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

You know.. your name may, or may not matter all that much depending on how large you want to get, and how you plan on getting new customers... Here are some of my rules of thumb:

1. It is generally a bad idea to name your company after yourself, unless your name is recognisable What does "joes lawn service" mean to the customer? it says that you're small-time. "Trump lawn care" might mean something different.. just don't use your name, unless YOU are what you're selling.. oh.. and look to the future.. if you sell your company, it will bring a better price with a generic name.

2. Your name does not need to be unique. The name of your business can be very similar to your best competition, which is a good move in the short term, people will get you confused with them, and call you. (my business was initially GreenScape Chemical lawn care.. people confused me with tru-green chem lawn, and Greenlawn.. my longest established competition.. I later changed it)

3. If you're going to rely on referrals, then your name doesn't matter. If you're planning on a major marketing campaign, then when people see your name for the 1st time, it needs to be eye catching.

4. A 'good' name is a descriptive name. people need to know what you do as soon as they look at your name.

5. Some times a name doesn't have to be a name.. ever heard of 1-800-lawncare? the company name IS the phone number.. You can get a vanity number too.. mine is 623-GROW.. which that number, on all of my advertizing is emphisized bigger than my name. If they can remember my phone number, I can remind them of the name :) that might also work to some degre with a web address..

6. Please don't pick a name that is 'trendy' like blades of glory (named after a movie) or another one I've seen is lawn-scape 2000... it sounded ahead of its time... well.. until the millinium turned.. DOH! so make sure that the name has the same image 10 years from now.

After you have a name, THEN worry about logo.. start by sketching ideas out on paper..

8. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

Rayholio just said it. Follow what he has said and you will be ok. Mo

9. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

That's why I figured A.M. It wasn't simply the just my initials. I though it brought across A.M. as in the morning. Fast work done in the morning.

10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

hehe yeah.. not saying AM is a bad name.. just wanted to throw out some pointers :)

I did notice though.. rsmith2... howabout the Lawn smith(s)? goes with your name.. do you do landscaping?