Looking For A New Mower

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MX97, Apr 30, 2007.

1. MX97

MX97 LawnSite Member

Im Looking To Buy A New Mower. Don't Run A Landscape Business And Never Intend To. I Am Looking For A Good, Solid Mower That Will Last A Long Time. I Currently Have About .50 Acres To Mow. May Have A Bigger Lawn One Of These Days, But I'll Probably Never Have Over An Acre To Mow. I'm Looking At Buying A Hustler Mini-fastrak 42", But Know Nothing About The Brand Other Than What The Sales Brochures Say. These Seem To Be Good Mowers, But I Don't Know Anyone With Experience With Them. Any Info Will Help. Also, Would Like To Know What The Life Expectancy Is On The Honda Motor As Compared To The Kohler. I Test Drove A 42" Mini-fastrak With A Honda Motor And A 44" Fastrack With The Kohler. The Mower With The Honda Felt A Lot Faster, But Was More Expensive. I Know That Honda And Kohler Both Make Good Motors, But Would Be Willing To Go With The Cheaper Motor If Someone That Knows More Than Me Can Tell Me If I Can Expect To Get 20+ Years Out Of The Kohler. Thanks.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Both are good engines.
    One thing you have to remember when looking at the more expensive Honda motor is that it is a v-twin overhead valve engine.
    It is more expensive because it is a commercial grade engine, where the Kohler is a single cylinder residential grade engine.
    Both will give you a long life if taken care of properly.
    For the amount of grass your cutting you will get a long life out of a Mini FasTrak 42" mower regardless of the engine choice.

Pj

3. MX97

MX97 LawnSite Member

Thanks For The Help. Hopefully Ill Be The Proud New Owner Of A Hustler By Next Week.

4. MX97

MX97 LawnSite Member

One More Quick Question. I See On This Website That The 44" Hustler Is A Limited Edition Of The Fastrack Series And Not The Mini-fastrak Series. I Was Under The Impression That It Was Part Of The Mini-fastrack Series. It Is Not Listed In The Brochure I Got. If It Is Part Of The Fastrak Line, Does This Mean That It Has The Same Commercial Duty Drive Train As The 48/54. This Might Sell Me On The 44 Because The Dealer That Im Working With Is Offering A Good Deal On An 06' 44" With The Kohler Motor. Thanks.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 44 is not part of the Mini FasTrak series, it is a full framed FasTrak mower.
    The 44 was not limited, it was built along side the 52's for the entire time we have made FasTrak's.
    The 44 and 52 FasTraks use the IZT hydro's, the 48 and 54 use the ZT2800's, both are good but the Zt's are the latest and greatest in integrated hydros.
    The 48 and 54 units are the new FasTrak series, as the 44 and 52's are the last year model versions, thus the reasoning of the great pricing on them.
    Depending on the price I would jump on the 44, it has the same great warranty and build quality.

Pj

6. MX97

MX97 LawnSite Member

Thanks Again For The Advice. I Think Im Going To Go With The 44 Fastrak. The Deal I Had Quoted From The Dealer Seems To Give More Bang For The Buck. I Think I'll Go Out And Buy It Today.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Cool.
    Post up some pics when you get it.

Pj