Looking for a new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paridise, Mar 2, 2005.

1. paridise

paridise LawnSite Member

I am looking at a John Deere 657 Quik-Trak Mower and a John Deere 737 Z-Trak Mower. Are there any advantages to having a stand on mower compared to a sit down or visversa
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at a JD dealer the other day, I drove one of thse Z track stand ons. Personally, I did not care for it. I had trouble turning, I guess i am just used to being in a sitting position, once I got used to it, it might be alright. The only advantage i can see over a conventional ZTR is that it may be easier on your back, because your legs absorb much of the shock. Also, the cost of a stand on is slightly less than a sit down.
  3. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

I field tested one of the Great Dane Super Surfers (pretty much same as JD standon) while I was looking for equipment. I was able to put it into pretty much anywhere I could put a walk behind. More of them will fit on a trailer. It works your legs and ankles, but ride ons work your back.
  4. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

I love my Dane Super Surfer!! It goes anywhere I want and has a floating deck like my Lazers...great cut too..

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

1. Lighter weight, which can mean less rutting.
    2. Ability to use body to transfer weight on hills.
    3. Easy "exit" in the case of an emergency.
    4. Less intimidating to customers that are afraid of "big scary" ZTR's.
    5. More compact to fit in tighter spaces (including trailers).

And probably a few other things I'm forgetting.
  6. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

If you got hills or think you might get a account because it has hills get the 657. I know when someone calls you and wants their lawn mowed and you don't have a walkbehind on one of the stand up mowers it going to get hard to keep your ZTR rider on the hill without puting ruts and keeping straight strips. If it wet your out of luck. get the 657 if it is the only mower you can get. If not get the 657 and then a 757 or a 777 not the 737.