Looking for a new trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WillsLandscape, Mar 23, 2013.

1. WillsLandscape

WillsLandscape LawnSite Member

Our 1997 Echo SRM-3100 is to the point where it requires service of some type almost every time we have to use it (only used on our 2 acres where our landscape architecture firm is located). The SRM-3100 still runs, and we would keep it for the heavy stuff and as backup, but I want a lighter trimmer (such as the SRM-230) for normal usage.

I was looking at a SRM-230, SRM-266, or a T242 Shindaiwa. If anybody has experience with any of these models, such as pros and cons, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

3. WillsLandscape

Thanks for the recommendation. The 323l looks really good. Only potential problem I see with this is that the closest Husqvarna dealer I have is in the next town over (and the dealer I really like only carries Stihl, Shindaiwa and Echo). However, my favorite online parts website carries Husqvarna, and I know how to fix small engines. I've been told before to stay away from Husqvarna before but I don't believe that when the lowest rating on a product review is 4 stars.

4. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the shin 242. We have four of them they have been relatively trouble free.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I see what you are saying on the reviews on the 323L was 100% of all reviewers would recommend this product to a friend with 45 (5stars) and only 6 (4 stars) that is very good to see.

That is better than my 224L and I think it is Gold.
    94%of all reviewers would recommend this product to a friend

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You got a long healthy life out of that 3100. Why switch brands now? We run 230 edgers and trimmers all day. 265/266 PAS systems for tools and heavy duty back up. Even a shred n vac for detail work. Great products, great dealer support. I just prefer one brand for all my tools.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. WillsLandscape

Yeah, we've always had good luck with the Echos - the youngest of the three Echo trimmers we own is 11. My dealer is really good to me and Echos warranty is great. I don't really care too much for the i-30 starter (my brothers PE-265 edger has it), so another plus for the 230. But we'll see what plays out in the end.

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

There are a lot of us here who think that for the money paid for what you get, the Husky 323L is the top of the heap. Lightest one going at 9 lbs, solid shaft drive, and 1.2 HP. I won a 223L last year and it is an excellent machine that will do for 98% of all trimmer jobs. Now I keep other attachments on my FS90 constantly, and use the 223L for all trimming. I'd prefer the 323 for the solid shaft since it is smoother feeling, and the added power (1.01 vs 1.2). But hey, for free, I ain't gonna quibble.:)

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

get the shin 242

10. rockymtnnut

rockymtnnut LawnSite Senior Member

The 260' s never seem to die i run them on my crew they get heavily used and parts are plentiful. Overall a very good trimer.
    Posted via Mobile Device