Looking for a new "wide area" sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Sep 30, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone give me a lead onto a company that'll make a 200-300 gallon "trailer" type sprayer with 15-20' booms? I've got a school district that I'm trying to get from TG/CL and I'm looking for a sprayer of this size.

2. lars

lars LawnSite Member

Trailer pulled sprayers are good, but I would reccomend a used Toro Multipro 1100 or a Deere 1800 ride on sprayers. The tanks are 160 and 200 gallons, respectively. Both are good machines and will cover alot of area fast. The 1100 has an 18 boom, not sure what the Deere has. Ride on sprayers are quicker as they are more manuverable and you can transport them on a 12' trailer. There are many of these comming off the market from golf courses and you could find one for under $5000. Check out www.usedturfequipment.com. They have a few and can give you an idea of what prices are like.

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ive used the toro, very nice machine.

I do think it would be to narrow focus for you 22, Why not look at a small 4x4 tractor,and get a 3 point hitch spray system, Ive used those in the past. That way you can disconnect and now you got a tractor for other things. You can get a vicon for spreading fert and aerators.

Just my thoughts.

Plus I never like buying equipment because of one job. Figure out what it will cost you in time to do the job with what you have, then compare that to what your gonna spend on the new equipment. I m sure Im telling you what you all ready know, but this is more for others reading. :D

4. LwnmwrMan22

James,
    I already have a 43 hp Kubota 4x4 that we use with a 15' mower for all the fields. One question I DO have for you, do you already have all the controls in the cab area of the tractor? Or do you have to get off the tractor to raise the booms, turn spray on, etc?

Basically, I'd like to see if I could get a tandem axle trailer setup with about a 200 gallon tank that would balance out well enough to pull with a ZTR. I know, I know, that the mower shouldn't pull 1600+ pounds, but it's all flat field work.

Lars,

I agree with getting the Toro setup, Smithco, Cushman, John Deere, any number of them, but it's the cost. Even those on the website you listed are still $5000+, where I THINK I can get a new trailer setup for that amount.

James,
    Back to your point about it being cost effective, I know once I get the job for one year, I've got it for as long as I want it, plus I do a number of other large areas (parks that are 250K sqft) and larger that it would be alot slicker than my Ultra.

5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

22, Get a 3point for your tractor. I think you can get a 80 gallon, maybe more, its been several years since Ive used one. A company I worked for had a Ford tractor that had 2 45 gallon tanks mounted above the front tires, next to the hood, and the booms where off the back, this allowed us to use the vicon so we could " fert & squirt "

There was a electronic box mounted on the dash with controls for turning on the booms, and hydraulically raising each boom. That was 12 years ago, I bet theres some slick set ups now.

6. LwnmwrMan22

Thanks James, I'll look into that.

7. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

All good points mentioned.

Trailer sprayers can really be annoying on anything but perfectly smooth ground unless you have sophisticated suspensions. As a result, the cheaper ones are pretty tough to maintain. Don't be sold on the boomless type. 3 pt mounted sprayers are economical, but you can rapidly get into a "rutting" situation if you don't have good flotation tires. These usually come with a pretty cheap roller-type pump that is short-lived.

Personally, I use a gator with 60 gal tank and 20 foot booms for athletic grounds and use a zspray for the smaller spots. The gator would (and should) handle a 100 gal tank easily. Flotation is excellent. You can piece together a gator with a quality spray system for ~$8-9K if you like do-it-yourself work. It is fairly simple to wire in electric solenoid valves, controllers etc. Teejet (spraying systems) makes a variety of controllers to fit your situation. You can even go with GPS compatible units if you want to spend more money. Of course, for that kind of money you can buy a zspray with all its advantages and it handles large acreage fairly well also.

Remcor.com is small north Tx company which will build to suit your needs, or they have stock items such as those mentioned above.