Looking for a nitche

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coronelli, Dec 2, 2006.

1. coronelli

coronelli LawnSite Member

Do you think there is a niche for a lawn care/landscaping company that promotes environmentally responsible equipment such as new more efficient mowers, a combination of gas and electric hand held tools, and a light weight all aluminum trailer? I live in a very eco conscience, granola eating, soy milk drinking, Eddie Bauer wearing, bike ridding community in Colorado.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You could probably use the enviro-friendly angle to your advantage. Why not? Most manufacturers try to use it.

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

if you think it's important to customers & potential customers then go for it. create a new marketing message that communicate what makes you different from your competitors. one that is geared towards women since they make more purchasing decisions & are more sensitive to environmental issues.

Once you have a clear, concise plan, drive it home until it becomes integral to your brand image. i'm not saying you have to spend a lot of money.

Marketing law - head+heart=wallet (customer loyalty)
    from a seminar i just took.

4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

first look in the organic section of this forum.....i think you will find many disenfranchised "eco friendly" LCOs because they have sadly discovered what many of us have known for years.......greenie weenies only talk the talk......when it comes time to pay up or shut up they are not to be found......also they are all as green as can be......until it makes them look bad with a lawn that is not always 100% green and weeds that do not die in 24 hours and dry up and go away soon after

if you are like me and only look at greenie weenies as a way to make a lot more for doing/providing a lot less in exchange then welcome to the club, but choose your niche carefully.....and from this and other forums I can tell you that lawn care is not a good greenie weenie niche.......takes way too long for the results and not enough "daily feeling superiority" (especially when the lawn is not the best on the block) and other niches can rake the greenies over the coals much better (stick to food)

also electric equipment is a joke....it barely last a week for a home owner.......i could not imagine running around with extension cords.....strung over 2 acres :laugh: :laugh: ....talk about a time killer.......wrapping/unwrapping cords.....carrying around 20 trimmers cause they break every hour.....man what a beating ;) ;) :dizzy: :dizzy:

like I say stick to food or something else....to be green really just means not using the best product for the job and a lot of paperwork....if you are going to put up with that might as well make money on it and that ain't gonna happen in green lawncare from what I see in these forums

if you are one that really believes in "green" and I offended you then yea I am a jerk and ignore me and GO FOR IT.....GET-R-DUN.......man I can picture a kickass extension cord holder for your trucks now.....and yea it would be cool to have the electric weedeater all quiet like so you can hear your MP3s and maybe a couple cool electric mowers and maybe you can be the next "Better" with an electric 36 or a 7 iron deck on a club car electric......you will make a killing and lead product development....PLEASE report back in a year with your results and show us the setup for your Prius that your crews roll in

if you are just looking for more bucks for less bang then greenies are your target market.....just make sure you are shooting them with the right arrows...and I don't think the LCO arrow is cutting it :)

that is my fifty cents :laugh: :walking: :cool2:

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

For this to work I think you would have to charge a good bit above the going rate for services there...mainly to compensate yourself for all the extra time it will take to do the work with lower-grade equipment. So the question is...will potential clients be willing to pay $45 for what others offer for $30???

You're probably better off not going this route. Perhaps after you get established and have a good client base you could test the waters and experiment with this idea, but to get started I would just buy regular commercial equipment.

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Upscale retirement communities with small properties might blend with your goal.

Smaller quieter tools - not so fast paced.

Not a social security dependent area, but a financially secure one.

:)

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well, I am trying to be as enviro friendly as possible with my biz. i sent out letters to all my customers at the beginning of the year touting EF practices. Guess what? SOME thought it was great. MOST were worried about spending more money for organic this and that, or worried about weeds, and only 2 would commit to firing their chem lawn companies in favor of a more EF approach. Its about money to most of them. My advice is to push if if you want, but don't expect many to bite. Make sure to keep it as an option to existing and new customers. You can do a little of both(although I will never use any harful chemicals) I can still refer them to a co. that will spray, but I try to talk them out of it. I am not a tree hugging hippie, but I am concerned about the environment. However, not everyone will be ready to make the change until pesticides are banned to a degree that they have little choice. The EF revoloution is on the way, but it's still 10-20 years down the road IMO.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sure there is a market for it.

Question is, is that market big enough for you to make any real money?

My opinion is that the majority of people just want their property to look nice, and don't really care how it gets done as long as you're not killing their pets/plants and making them sick.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Just don't tell the customers your using electricity from a coal power plant or the nuclear power plant at the end of the river where the 3 eyed two tailed fish live.

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy here that promotes all natural mowing in his signature: A cow and a Goat. I thought that was kinda funny.