LOOKING FOR A PIECE OF EQUIPTMENT THAT I CAN USE TO LOOSEN HARD SOIL.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 17, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

I AM LOOKING INTO A WALKBEHIND PIECE OF EQU. THAT WILL LOOSEN HARD COMPACTED SOIL SO AREA CAN BE SEEDED.

THE PROBLEM IS A NEW DEVELOPMENT WENT UP AND THE FRONTS WERE SODDED AND THE BACKS WERE SEEDED .GRASS IN BACK DRYED UP AND SOIL IS HARD. I TRYED WETTING AREA DOWN ,AREATING ,RUNNING MY THATCHER OVER IT ,LOOSENED UP ABOUT ONE INCH BUT I NEED MORE. ANY HELP? EQU. WEB SITES,PRICES ECT...
    ANTHONY

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

3 point linkage aerator may be the way to go.That is if you have the room for the tractor/aerator. If it is a heavy clay
    soil,try spreading gypsum over it to break it up.

Karl

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The only way I can think of other than rototilling it is use an aerator that will go deeper. The Lesco/Classen tow aerator, you can put up to 700 lbs on it and it will pull cores up to 4". If you can't rent one, they sell for around $1250. If you go over the lawn a few times with that, it should loosen the soil up just fine.

4. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

We have the same problem here. Increase water on those zones.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the replys. i am looking for a walkbehind unit.

anthony

6. Banzaitoy

Banzaitoy LawnSite Member

Iuse a 1961 DAVID BRADLEY walk-behind tractor with a furrow attachment.

7. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

ASK KIRBY ABOUT THAT AEROVATOR THING HE HAS..SEEMS LIKE JUST THE THING FOR YOU PROBLEM.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Fireman, I've already spoke to Anthony about this. They are looking for a walk behind machine to do this, I know of none. The Aera-Vator would be ideal though.

9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

A Tiller?

10. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

It isnt a walk behind but a D10 with a single tine ripper ought to get you at least started,be careful a D11 might be a little big.