looking for a school

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by americanother7, Aug 29, 2004.

1. americanother7

americanother7 LawnSite Member

I have just started doing lawn care. I was wondering if anyone knows of a school that specializes in lawn care. I know that I can learn about horticulture(turf management, golf course management etc.), but I was wondering if there was a school with a degree, or maybe a course or two that really teach lawn care in depth.

2. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure they do have school to teach you about Lawn ..Maybe you can check out the trade school and they might can give you infrom ,,,,,,Most the school Board got there own contracter to do there lawn ,,,,,,,its really hard to hook up with the school board ,,and you will have to have more equiipment to keep up.

3. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if there's such a thing as a school that teaches lawn/landscape techniques? Sort of like how the Coast Guard Auxiliary teaches boat safety but teach people how to safely and effectively start a lawn care business and be successful. You see stuff on TV all the time on how to make money in real estate or home businesses. HELL, you can even turn this type of thing in to a multi level business (like multilevel marketing) where the top man on the list has people under him that does all the work and you still get money.

You could open a business that teaches:

1. Advertisement
    2. Giving estimates
    3. Scheduling
    4. Contract work out to individuals or another business
    5. Writing up contracts
    6. Customer Service
    7. Equipment maintenance
    8. Equipment rental
    9. Trailering different size trailers, trailer safety
    10. Obtaining business license
    12. Obtaining insurance
    13. Yardwork techniques
    14. Accounting
    15. Debris removal
    16. Safety
    17. Equipment usage
    18. Fuel safety
    etc.

Just a thought but I haven't seen anything like this. Have you?

4. chambers 38

chambers 38 LawnSite Member

go to plcaa and look for eduction course's , they have at home turf technology classes and more. I plane on taking one

5. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

Try looking into Ohio State ATI it is a division of Ohio State and seems to be a great school from what i have heard. i'm going their sept 19

6. adam underwood

adam underwood LawnSite Member

go to collegeboard.com

7. Duron22

Duron22 LawnSite Member

it's called a certificate program. No clue on how long it is for or what it is all about but they offer at purdue univ. here in indiana and i was reseaching it myself. but it should be a certificate program at a state college, four year college, etc.