looking for a service price list

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenhorn123, Apr 7, 2006.

1. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

im looking for a list of prices for what i should be charging for service calls.

i know how to price an install but sometimes i think my services prices are inconsistent. does anyone have a general list as far as repairs, leaks, added heads and things like that? or how they get their price?

im in new england

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Time and Material ~ whatever the market will bear. If you know how to repair, your time is of value.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Boots said..."T&M"

There is no hard and fast rule for fixing a broken sprinkler line, or replacing a vandalized head because every situation is different. That broken line may be caused by a tree root, or heavy equipment, or an edging stake, etc. and you don't know what your're going to find till you get the dirt and mud out of the way.

You have to determine what your break even point is and then mark your labor up accordingly. Check around and see what others in your area are charging. Another yard stick is what the local plumbers charge. Charge as close to their rate as you can and you'll make some pretty decent money. Then mark the materials up accordingly. List price for most sprinkler whole goods will generally give you a 40% GP. Many just double their cost.

Go get 'em tiger

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Gave me goosebumps when both of them said it :) As has been stated over and over again, they could call a plumber who still couldn't fix it. Get paid a portion of what your worth! I have told many a customer "Superman is on vacation and X-ray vision isn't an option, we will do the best we can........"

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you have set prices you will not have any room to wiggle when you run into those repairs that need extra time and material because of unforeseen problems.

6. greenhorn123

how do i get t & m for a rotor that takes 1 minute to swap out the guts and 1minute to adust. or a valve that i changed that took 15 minutes or a soleniod or a broken nozzel. im already charging for the spring turn on. i figured that people would have a list not for the customer like jiffy lube but for the service tech or yourselves. like 27 for a rotor 15 for a spray or 120 for a valve so on and so forth

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No list. No List!! No %&#@* List!!!! ~ Your new mantra is "time and material" because nothing else is fair. Either to yourself, or to your customers. Maybe you've led a sheltered existence, where all repairs were like the changing of a lightbulb. If so, you are in for an education, at Howard Knox University.

How would that list you're picturing deal with a head replacement that requires you to jackhammer some mortar away from that Belgian-block curb, on account of the original head being shorter than any replacement you can lay your hands on? How would it deal with one sheared-off riser that allowed sandy soil into a line to gum up an additional five heads?

8. PurpHaze

LOL... calm down Boots. :laugh:

9. greenhorn123

seriosly

im sure that happens everyday

10. PurpHaze

What they're getting at is that you need a basic service call fee that covers your gas, insurance, initial time, etc.... those overhead things that are unseen to the customer. If you get to the call and only replace one nozzle then your service call price might include that. However, if you run into problems like having to replace several nozzles and a couple of sprinklers then you need to add additional material (priced up also) and perhaps time. Basically what everyone is saying is that you don't want to work for free.