Looking for a striping kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by driver5, May 21, 2006.

1. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me of a site or place that sells striping kits ( CHEAPER ) for an Exmark Lazer 60 Liquid Cooled. Those bad boys are expensive, almost too expensive just to lay a brighter stripe.

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

place on ebay sells them for 220 shipped, they're out of ohio.

York Sheet Metal in York PA used to make them for exmark till toro gave them the boot, might want to check how much they want.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

$200+ !! Good Grief...

Try this.
    Get two pieces of 60" long, 2" wide and 1/4" thick flat bar steel.

Cut them to fit the back of your deck just right.
    Weld one of them to the back of the deck, about 1/2" up from the bottom.
    Cut the second bar to the same length as the welded one, then cut in half.
    Clamp them all into place and drill matching holes.
    (Its ok to go through the deck, just make sure your blades wont hit your bolt heads)
    Get a big thick 1/2" rubber mud-flap from a semi truck shop.
    Cut it (small circular or jig saw) to match your steel, have it touch the ground when the mower is at your "normal" cutting height.

Using your second set of metal, bolt/clamp the rubber into place.

Its cheap, and it works GREAT.

It looks like this...

IMG_1064sml.jpg

5. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome.... thank you so much for all your imput... i think i like the trucker mud flap best.... thanks:clapping:

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know why but I never had good luck with the mud flap. I had it on a w/b and it was just secured to the axle so it had some play, but I even built a metal frame for it to keep it stiff. It worked but not as good as pictures of lawns done with rollers.

I ended up making my own roller for my new z, got a roller from a surplus store and cut some brackets. I'm going to get good bearing plates for it though since the ones on it are cheap bearings.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I cant take much credit for it, it's standard hardware on my Gravely.
    But it came with some sort of 1/8" thick rubber/fiber stuff that worked ok, but not nearly as well as the mudflap.

I'm thinking about cutting a 1" deep zig-zag /\/\/\/\/\ across the bottom edge.
    It might work even better that way - sort of a comb effect? Concerned about a quick wear-out though.

Oh... Keep your blades from getting ahold of the flap.
    Use Nylock nuts, or better yet, the kind that we all hate - the ones that are crimped or bent in on the sides, with a lock washer.