Looking for a successful training schedule

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Any one have a training schedule they want to share.

What would help the most is the order of training ( example: 21"mowing first 2 days, hard edge edging next 3 days etc.)

Also, do you have financial incentives to complete each training level?

Finally, at what point is driving the rig on the schedule and does it include pulling the trailer?

:D :D Thanks in advance:D :D

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone learns at a different pace and some people are better at things than others are. I have some great workers that cannot run a weedeater for crap. I have 3 or 4 that are a wiz so they get that duty. You have to find what each person is good at and use that to your advantage. We do not use a set schedule. Financial incentive to learn is keeping your job! :) I do give yearly raises for people that continue to improve. A good manager/business owner knows his employees strengths/weaknesses and uses them to his advantage.

3. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I think a "Training schedule" is entirely up to you and the competency of the employee you've hired. How much work do you have for a 21" mower? Mine only runs 15 mins or so a week. Not enough time spent using one to worry about making someone proficient. Then again, if a guy couldn't use one, who needs him? Do you have any 36- 48" w/b's? This is where you need someone who can operate them the right way. I wouldn't try to go by any training schedule as each person will demonstrate his ability at a different rate.

4. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks.
    What I'm looking for is which tools do you train on first ,second and so on.
    Also, how long you allow them before you expect them to be proficient at it.
    Thanks

5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

show em how to do it and pray it doesnt comeback broken

Chuck

6. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess then since the basic thing is mowing, then push mower first. Maybe you might "interview" at your shop or home if you've got enough area to turn someone loose. Weed whacker would be next as it's another small tool that requires some technique. Finish with the blowers. Leave the big mowers till the other stuff is mastered. I'd leave the truck/trailer driving till you know you've got a permanent employee. Maybe this could be a reward. Showing him that he/she's trusted enough to drive off with your whole operation! HMMM? Think about that one, OK? Good luck.

Dennis

7. walshdevo10

walshdevo10 LawnSite Member

I always start them off with edging since that gives them a tour off the account( I do commercial so the property is large enough to do this), then I switch to mowing, starting with the smallest or easiest. I still try to incorporate edging so they don't "forget". Just work them up the line of mowers. I always do weedeating last. For me, this is the toughest for someone who has no experience. They can easily turn a 5 min job into an hour. Doing this last they havethe knowledge of how I want things done and how quickly. They know the property well, and at this time they are usually comfortable with their co-workers which greatly improves their confidence.

8. mowinmoney

mowinmoney LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Walsh,

Great point about weedeating. It can cost a company a lot each week if the wrong person is doing it. Find a great weedeater and keep him happy. He'll make you alot of money...