1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

looking for a trailer ramp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tim cooper, Mar 1, 2002.

1. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

Yet another equipment question .. I have a 16 foot trailer with ramps that I have to place in a slot on trailer... looking online for a ramp but.... only one place ive found.. about 400 bucks for ramp and hinges..etc... anyplace u guys might know where i can find a ramp... btw..this guy said it would take 2 weeks for it to come in and another week to put it on.... HELPPPP!!!!:( :(
  2. Local welder shoud be able to make you a custum ramp for under $200
  3. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

LOL do u stay up all nite on this site? lol addicted 2 i c
  4. What else is there to do on these long boring winter months?
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I had a real nice gate made for $175. Its a 2 piece gate, that doesn't have the mess in it. Its the stuff they use on industrial walkways. Its real light and extremely strong.
  6. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Just took my 6 1/2' x 16' over to the local trade school/prison welding shop a few weeks ago to have some mods done. Getting a 5' gate/ramp split vertically, weedeater/trimmer rack, supply box, gas can basket, and blower holder put on. Oh and the whole thing repainted. The guy said that he was going to estimate the job @ $350. Said he always estimates high. In reality he said that it will probably be around $325. I know everyone is thinking "you get what you pay for" but I have seen several jobs these guys have done and wouldn't have taken there if I thought it would be anything less than the best. They are keeping it about three weeks is the only drawback. But I wasn't using it right now anyway.
    Just thought I'd throw that info out for others who may need this type work done. you can probably call your local trade schools and ask which ones in your area can do this. I was just lucky enough to know without having to call around.
  7. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

All good places to find what you want, especially the trade school. You might also check with a place that sells trailers. They sometimes do fab. work. It shouldn't cost no more than about $175.00.
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

If you have access to a welder, do it yourself. I just built mine for $72.00 in angle, 2 1/2". And $35.00 in extruded metal. I used 1/2 in rod to make hinges, bought hitch pins to hold ramp to trailer. This is my first welding job with a Mig. I even have tested it and so far its held. Other wise I called about one at the place I bought my trailer and they said $150.00, Plus I had fun making it. I'm a welding fool now. LOL
  9. marc

marc LawnSite Member

Tim, try Fivestar Manufacturing in Missouri. I can't remember the town off the top of my head but I can look it up for you if you need it, let me know. They make real nice aluminum ramps. They weigh like 40#. I bought mine at the Expo in Louisville last year for $120.00 (set). A dealer will sell them for 180-200. They have differrent sizes. I recommend that you purchase the 12in wide ones.
  10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

one of those 12in wide ones? one of us confused marc? i think cheapest would be a welder, how about going to a junk yard and getting one off a wrecked trailer?