1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eruuska, Aug 18, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Got a customer who wants a tree planted, and he's got a couple pretty specific desires.

1. Small, compact, and likely to stay that way.

2. Flowers in summer.

Any thoughts? This is Zone 5. It'll be in mostly sun.

2. Golf42

Golf42 LawnSite Member

Japanese Maple

No flowers but the leaves stay pretty throughout the summer.

3. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

There are not many trees that have flowers throughout the summer. Most flower in spring and that's it for the year. There are many varieties of Crape Myrtles and all bloom for most of the summer and most of them can be trimmed/pruned to look like a small tree.

4. eruuska

My lovely wife just suggested Rose of Sharon, which flowers later than other things and can be trimmed to look very tree-like. What do you think?

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Rose of Sharon blooms late summer and can be pruned to have a lolipop shape, but the key word is "pruned." I also don't like it because of the suckers that shoot up all over the place.

Your best bet is to get a flowering shrub that has been grafted to a trunk, there are a bunch of Hydrangea tree's at my nursery now that are really nice.

6. Golf42

Golf42 LawnSite Member

May also want to consider a Smoketree. Late summer blooms and great fall color.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Could you define "small"? Also, does this customer want a single-trunked item or a multiple?

8. eruuska

Single-trunk tree, topping out at around 12-15 feet.

9. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

I agree with GRN MTN.
    Rose of Sharon is nice looking plant and prolific bloomer, but you will constantly be removing those darn suckers. If you don't, you'll have 100 Rose of Sharons in short order.

I'm curios about this "Smoketree". Sounds nice. Anyone got a photo of one?

10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member