1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a used wb, whats a good choice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firedog561, Apr 5, 2008.

1. firedog561

firedog561 LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get a used walkbehind to use for a few yards and as a semi back up. What models and years are a good choice, and what should I stay away from. I would like to get hydro if the price is right. How does the gear drives work? From the pictures I have seen it looks like change it with your knee. I would like to get a sulky for it also. I'm kinda looking for a 36-44". Thanks for any info.
  2. firedog561

nobody has any input?
  3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll get PLENTY of replies during the week between 7-10 p.m.. :usflag:
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what are you running right now? why do you think you need a back up?
  5. firedog561

I have a new toro 60". By back up I mean if I get behind and I get someone to help we both can mow. i have an old bob cat ransome 36" gear drive no reverse. I have two yards I need a walkbehind to get in the fenced area.
  6. firedog561

anyone else care to chime in. I know different people have different preferences. i'm not trying to start mine is better then yours. just want to know what to avoid and what to look for.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I know you can't go wrong on a Scag belt drive machine......gotta watch buying used hydro units since pumps and wheel motors are costly to replace.
  8. firedog561

can you use a sulky with a belt drive?
  9. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

yes, you can use a sulky with a belt drive. some people say that when they get wet the belts slide but i have never had a problem. Im about 185 pounds. Hope that helps
  10. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

personally i have bad problems with belt drives in the past and the one i had did slip when it was wet. So i only run the hydro's now. As to brand i only use EX Mark. I konw they are a bit more expencive then others but i find that they hold up better. hope this helps:usflag: