Looking for a work truck

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by mikegreen, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I agree, I wouldn't purchase a Chevy either. I like throwing money at mechanics/dealer service depts too much. Helps the economy out too keeping those guys employed.

2. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Interesting you say that... Plow fleet of all GMC/Chevy, some have 300k on them - run mint, no problems at all.

3. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

Read my comment again, it's tongue and cheek. :) I own multiple problem-free GM vehicles myself.

4. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Love gmc/ Chevy but they aren't the best in the small truck world. Toyota and ford make good small trucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

The S-10 and Colorado were fine trucks. They had cheap interiors, but so did a Ranger or Taco of the same vintage. The 4.3 V-6 was a very reliable little motor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

True. But it is hard to beat a toyota. Their interiors are cheap looking but they don't fall apart.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

The 4.3 is identical to the tried and true 350 its just short 2 cylinders. Heck of a motor but yes interiors sucked. If you're buying a work truck based on interior quality all I can say is priorities. Mechanically its tough to go wrong with any of the small trucks. The 3.0 ford put in the rangers for a bit is kind of a dud but other than that they're all pretty reliable long life engines. Have you thought of a dodge Dakota? Still small but can get it with a v8 so you're not pushing it to the limit constantly while towing. You lose some fuel economy and I don't trust them for quite as many miles but not bad trucks. With any vehicle who cared for it last is more important than who built it.
    Posted via Mobile Device