Looking for advice on equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Clean, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Green Clean

Green Clean LawnSite Member

I snagged a larger account and need to make an addition to my lawn equipment to handle it. It will yield me roughly $300 a week so I'm not looking to spend a lot. Right now I am running a 36" Gravely echo whip and blower and a truck no trailer. I found two ads that are roughly the same price, but I am torn as to which is a better buy.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/grd/3863853499.html

only the 48 is still available
    or

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/3844819499.html

as always any advice is greatly appreciated and helpful

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Without knowing the status of the engine and hydros, the hrs are high if the engine is the original, hydros usually last longer depending on seicvice, new paint on deck I would really go over it before making an offer. Newer engine would help. Check out spindles too. Those mowers last a long time if took ncare of.

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

How many hours a week of mowing do you now have?

How many hours will it take you to do this new job with the 36"?

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I would not buy any thing from that guy in the second ad. He sounds as a patent medicine peddler.

Sounds as if he buys mowers and then try's to flip them.

5. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree. Something is fishy with that second ad. A lot of clues there that his stuff is not well maintained. Could be a chance for a bargain, but I doubt it. Probably a bunch of rigged up stuff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Id stay away from that second guy. I like the craigslist ads that are short and sweet. Just tell me what it is, the hours, and condition, and a picture. No need for this guys life story. Very strange

7. Green Clean

Right now before this account I have about 8 hours of mowing a wk, with this account I will have 24-30 a week. I went back and looked at the videos the mowers did seem to run a bit funny. In regards to the Exmark, what should I be looking for insofar as the spindles?

8. MJB

from Wa

I just check them for play, look at the blades how beat up are they that will tell you something about the owner are they beat up , if so the mower was probably abused to. Look at the deck plate for clues any damage to the top of the deck is bad and will effect the quality of cut. Not trying to scare ya just examine it and look for clues as to what its gone thru.

9. MJB

from Wa

How many acres are cutting for this extra 20 hrs per week? $300 divided by 20 hrs = $15 per hr you can not run a ztr for that much and stay in business long, you need to average $30 per hr minimum . Are you sure you will take that long with a 48" deck?

10. Green Clean

Thank you for the info I will most definitely check these areas. Are the spindles the parts that turn the tires or the blades? I know I should know this but.....

No I don't think it will take that long with a 48 lazer, I think it is closer to 12 -16 ish with a ztr due to higher speeds and zero turn. I think my estimate was based on my 36" gravely. I would be cutting about 36 acres.