1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an AERATOR.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ACutAbovesiny, Sep 24, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

How hard is it to get the Lesco into the back of a pickup? I was hoping to be able to load a classen or lesco split drive in the back of a pickup w/ ramps, but didn't know if it would be possible.

- BD

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just cruious...does anyone use the Ryan 28?

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I did not see one word about the Turfco TurnAer aerators. They are the latest in aeration technology. Rolling drum type aerators that you drive and can ride behind. Fast, low maint and very easy on the operator. I am 59 with a bad back and can run one for hours. It is almost fun. You can drop off the ride on sulky and walk with the unit to trim and do tight areas and they come in two sizes. One for 28 inch gates and one for 36 inch gates. The bigger one will do over an acre an hour. I know. See them at Turfco.com or call 800-679-8201

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Three point hitch is a better option than tow behind. Let the hydraulics pick up the unit at the end of the row. Back into tight spots, lower and go. I have a Turfco 42" three point hitch and love it.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Are you looking for new or used? I have put an older snapper aerator in the market place earlier this year. It is similar to the plugr style and is cam opperated. Just a thought at about 1/4 the price. good machine and has a Briggs I/C indestructable engine.

6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

The plugr weights in at 276lbs and has no rolling resistance. I am 37 and have no problems. As for the lesco, on my ramp I have a rubber mat so the drum has so traction to grab on too. I can get it up on the back of the truck but it is a struggle. The lesco never gets used anymore on my part. I don't think I ran 2 tanks of gas through it. To big and bulky for me. Good luck on your purchase.

7. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks alot. I'll take all these suggestions into consideration.

8. 04SIERRA04

04SIERRA04 LawnSite Member

Sounds like the plugr is the way to go.
    I use a Ryan with the drum and chain and maintain 1 acre at my cottage and I have to agree.... following the Ryan is alot of work!

It DOES however do an EXCELLENT job except for uneven surfaces as it tends to lean to the left or the right. "too and fro" if you will??

9. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Anyone have any insight to 25inch versus 19? Is the added width outweighed by the loss of manuverability? I can't afford both at this time, but would like to pick up either a 19 or 25 ASAP.

- BD

10. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA