1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an alternative

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Turf Z, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Turf Z

Turf Z LawnSite Member

Work for a resident that has some kind of arb on each side of his garage door in 3x3 mulch beds cut out of the cement. The arbs are over grown and look chitty. Trying to decide on an alternative plant that will stay small and contained. He wants a really clean look. Looking for something that will stay in the 4'-5' range.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Grasses , lilac , burning bush ,
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think that you would want taller plants. When framing a doorway window, etc, what often looks best is plants that are approximately two thirds the height of the wall, so plants that grow to five to seven feet is what I would specify.

Most the plants used for landscape foundation plantings like this will grow larger than what is desired if not maintained.

An evergreen is best for foundation and accent planting, they are easy to keep symmetrical and look good all year.

Two good suggestions are Sky pencil holly and Alberta spruce. You can find images of both online, both are evergreen, symmetrical, relatively low maintenance and can be maintained at the desired height.

4. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

3x3 cut outs of concrete are probably not going to be a location where a plant can thrive long term, so you should consider plantings will need to be replaced.
    Especially if the plants are going to be subjected to snow and ice treatments like salt or ice melt.

A Hicks upright yew is a good choice cause they are low cost and tough. A yew will require more maintenance than my other suggestions, but it will be lower cost and a better bet for long term survival.