Looking for another walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to be a part of such an awesome site!

I've had decent success with the residential $400 Snapper 21" by modifying it slightly (making it rain-proof and replacing some weak pieces). But I want a larger cutting path and a drivetrain that will not show signs of wear for at least 400-500 hours of small lawns while still staying in the walk-behind class.

Is there a mower out there with comparable quality and the above attributes for under $900?

I have a vision of this Snapper with a better drivetrain and the whole thing blown up by about 30% (deck, motor, everything just plain bigger).

Thanks fellas (and ladies?).

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Not for under $900, unless you find a clean, used 32-36" belt drive machine. You can however, get a commercial Snapper 21" for less than that..mine was $740 with the 6hp Kawasaki.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

you can't buy anything bigger than a 23 inch commerical product for less than $900 that I know of. But I have purchased used 36" commerical mowers for a bit over that and I even have one now that I would be willing to part with for about that price.

36" is a big time saver compared to 21" maybe up to half the time, depending on obsticals.

4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Go for a nice 36" mower. You may not be able to find a good used one for a price that low though. Also, since you are money-conscious you are gonna want a belt drive as opposed to a hydro. (Although if I could do it all over again, I would've spent the extra money and gotten a hydro) Good luck and welcome to lawnsite.