Looking for arecommendation on good ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Tarheel Wheeler, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler LawnSite Member

Coming to the experts for a recommendation on good ZTR for adding to my horse farm. I have a small horse farm in central NC. I've found that it is faster to cut paddocks, yard and drive with a ZTR than to use a bush hog for paddocks, riding mower for yard and woods mower equivalent for drive. Have about 6 acres worth of paddocks. Drive is gravel 3/8 mile andab out 2 acres in yard. Would like to consolidate tasks with one machine. Question - What would be a good ZTR to look at? Thanks, TW :help:

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a scag tiger cub with a 48 '' deck and this mower has been great for me. For larger areas a larger deck may be better. I think I can Avg 2 acres an hour with the machine easy and not run it wide open. There are alot of good mowers out there, Just check with the dealers in your area,Dealer support and parts will probably be one of your main concerns

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

60" Lazer or Hustler. That will cut the acreage pretty quick and give you a very nice cut. With it being used by you and on your own property either will last a lifetime if you take care of them. With 6 acres+ worth of area, don't consider anything smaller than a 60". Its kinda like tractors, the smaller the more expensive in relative terms. The time saved with a 60" over a 44,48, or 52" will be money well spent and mean the more years you will get out of the mower. It will run less time every year. You should get 20+ years from it.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Some good brands to look at are Exmark, Scag, Hustler, Ferris, Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper, and Cub Cadet commercial to name a few. Go around to your local dealers and see what they have to offer. I wouldn't get anything less than a 60".

5. Tarheel Wheeler

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Want to buy local. Looking at the Cub Cadet / Lesco, Great Dane Chariot and a new leftover Woods F25 with MX 61 Deck. All have @ 60" decks with 25 hp Kohler or Kawis. Toro, John Deere and Hustler are out of my price range. Don't have a Lazer dealer local. The Woods with out front deck is leading the race right now. It's an 04' that was leftover and the dealer wants to move it. All the rigs are coming in under 7k. Opinions? Thx, TW

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I can't say about the Woods. They made some good machines in the past, but over the years they have kinda fallen behind. Personally I would not own a Great Dane Chariot. The Cub Tanks are very good machines and well built. Lesco is the same mower. If the lesco dealership by you is a pretty good size operation then I would consider it from them. If not, get it in the Cub version. The kawi motors are very strong and pretty fuel effecient. My 23 kawis get about 3/4 gal per hour.
    Good luck.

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I wouldn't suggest getting a Woods mower. We have a mid mount and you can't get parts for them. If we break down we'll be down for 3 weeks waiting on parts and they cost a fortune. We ordered a new set of blades for our machine and they cost about $75. Its a 60" mid mount made by Gravely.

I would suggest the Cub or lesco. They seem to be built very good and i've heard they are like tanks and that they have a great quality of cut. The GD would also be a pretty good machine. Since JD bought them they have made alot of improvements to the company and to their mowers.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a little suggestion here:

Have you considered a Farmall Cub with a mid mount Woods mower? Farmall Cubs are almost everywhere (here in NC anyway), parts are cheap and easy to replace, and the places that sell Farmall parts usually also sell Woods parts. FA Cubs are also very reliable and will last almost forever.

9. Tarheel Wheeler

Had one. Not fast enough. By the time I get my 6' bush hog hooked up I can be done with a ZTR. Idea is to down size my tractor requirments. Anybody looking to buy a 79 JD 2240 in great shape? TW

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

check your PM.