Looking for business partner NJ

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by polska, Dec 6, 2009.

1. polska

polska LawnSite Senior Member

Hello I've been in business for about 2 years now. And I am getting burn't out doing everything by myself. I am a real go getter and can't see myself making it on my own. I am looking for an indivdual that has a passon for landscaping that is in the same boat I'm in. I a 24 years old and love to work. I have all the equipment. If your in the same boat as I'm in and in New Jersey let me know. ASAP Thanks guys

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Try posting this in the Jersey Guys thread in the "Network with people from your area" forum. Lots of Jersey dudes seem to pass through there. Hopefully that will help you out a bit.

3. g21

g21 LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful what you wish for. Taking on a partner is a big step. I'm not sure what size your operation is but you may want to consider hiring an Operations Manager. Being a little premature about bringing in senior management might make more sense than giving half your company away.

4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If you each bring 30 lawns to the table...you'll then be making 60 stops/week and making (essentially) the same money (each). Sounds like it'll take longer to do as well.

5. frontier landscaping

frontier landscaping LawnSite Member

i am right over in long hill not to far. i was going to do the same then with a friend but then i thought about it it just did not make sense to split the money like that

6. SW Services

SW Services LawnSite Member

i too have considered this but then thought about it. It is VERY risky if one person decides to split ways and takes all the customers. I have seen this all too often and its expensive to draw up a contract between owners to eliminate that problem. I would advise against it.

7. polska

polska LawnSite Senior Member

as I agree with all you but nothing is 100% in thiis day of age. Take for example marriage. You have to hope for the best and have trust. I was looking for someone in the same boat as I'm in. If business was easy everyone would have a business its the hardest thing i've had to deal with.

8. x 2 with partner.

9. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My experience, started my current corp. in 1992 with a partner, we both brought about $40,000 annual revenue to the company. We were best friends, after 5 years I was doing all the billing, he just would not help. I was doing all the landscape design and sales, he was going to learn but never bothered. He pulled the same salary had a company truck as well. One day he tells me he just does not want a big company anymore, it's to much for him, just wants to cut grass keep it simple, h!ll that's all he was doing anyway. We split the company about 70/30, one year later I bought out what he had left and he left the state. IMHO unless you are very lucky in finding just the right partner you should maintain control and find a top notch foreman.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

Hire the help...don't "marry" it.

NEVER NEVER NEVER.