Looking for Clothing tips

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bowenb3, Aug 1, 2006.

1. bowenb3

bowenb3 LawnSite Member

Looking for clothing tips. Best protection from sun, keeping cool, wear and tear. Both pants and shirts.

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno, I usually wear some kind of lighter khaki type short with a sleeveless t-shirt.

IMO a quality pair of leather boots are a must. High tops for ankle support, and durable leather. I use a protectant on them because morning dew gets them all wet.

I never wear a hat, but always a good quality pair of sunglasses to keep the UV rays out of my eyes. I'll wear a headband if I know I'll be sweating a lot, to keep the sweat out of my eyes and off the sunglasses.

I also wear a good quality pair of gloves to protect from blisters.

Other than that, not much else except for sunblock to keep from getting burned up.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I wear jeans and a light color (beige) polo shirt, baseball cap and Peltors (covers ears) to listen to Rush, Laura and Shuwn keeping the liberal vibes away.:laugh:

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yes, how could I forget about the ear protection...

I use worktunes, or(more often) my ipod with a good set of in-the-ear earbud type headphones.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Cotton stuff including long sleeve shirts hat with air vents and cloth that protects you neck and can be wet down. No short pants cover up everything and wet your self down hourly and it is easy to stay cool. And don't think about weather, don't watch reports just block it out. Drink more water than you can hold.

6. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I wear what I have for now and usually opt for shorts.

When I grab the khaki pants thinking about the tear my legs take in the morning and start to feel the heat as I put them on, I switch back to the shorts. I need to force myself to wear them. This is the bad thing about not having a boss to force you to do these things.

Jeans aren't an option for me since they tend to either be too tight or stretch out too much when working to keep them up.

Haven't spent on sunblock yet but haven't had a problem yet with sunburn either.

Green tshirt looks like landscaping and seem to look better after sweat and yard debris. I'll make a trip to Wal-Mart to buy several Fruit of the Loom thick green t-shirts when I'm ready to buy a new cap or go to Kohls for cheap knit polos.

I need a new cap since all my current ones are worn out by washing. Columbia sporting goods seem to make good caps with the right quality, style, weight, and price for landscaping. I should probably look into their pants as well. Shirts might be too expensive for the purpose.

I need ear protection. I'm not the type to listen to music while working. I tend to be the type that mumbles to himself and sings his own tune in his head. LOL. If that isn't a surprise.

Eye protection. I need to figure that one out. Prescription safety goggles would be ideal for me but don't know if I'm ready to look like a bug/safety dork. Not a fan of sunglasses, both in terms of look and making things more difficult to see. Might go with wrap around sunglasses that are tinted slightly. Not a fan of glasses either. I could never get use to the blocked periphereal vision. My eye sight wasn't bad enough to ever justify that.

Any recommendations on sunglasses which don't distort vision?

7. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

When I first started out, I ordered blue cotton t-shirts. I had another job that I had to wear a uniform, and needed either blue or black shirts underneath. I thought I would kill 2 birds in 1 stone. My advice....DONT WEAR DARK COLORS!!!! A couple of years ago, I switched to a Heathered Grey T shirt. It is still a thick cotton t, so it wears really well, doesn't look dirty, and is cooler than I had. As far as leg covers, depends what I', doing, either shorts or jeans.

8. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a stone wash gray company shirts, khaki shorts (pants if i know i have a cleanup job) Bucket hat with sunclasses and ear protection with tunes :) I need to get a nice pair of water proof hiking shoes tho...

I keep 2 shirts and a pair of socks in the truck in case i sweat really badly and need to change...its like such a refreshing feeling to put on something cool an dry

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

kahki shorts, white t-shirts, and 10" boots with a baseball cap here. i want to know where all the guys are now who were screaming about wearing long pants only earlier this year :laugh:

10. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

I use khaki cargo shorts with a white cut off polo with the small company logo on the chest, and a large logo on the back with a phone number, boots